New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Digital SLR

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kutless217

Kutless217 is on a distinguished road

ok so i am going through the same thing as sursuciofla just did. I just don't have as much money as he does. Currently the camera i am looking at is the Olympus Evolt E-300. just would like to hear your thoughts about this camera or if you recomend a differant camera let me know. I am not willing to spend more then $800 for lens and body and i would like a camera that can print 8x10 at 300 dpi which i have been told i need a 7+mp camera to acheive this. Thanks for your advice in advance.

oh and the best deal on the camera i have found is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830111157
QUOTE Thanks
sursuciofla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless217
ok so i am going through the same thing as sursuciofla just did. I just don't have as much money as he does. Currently the camera i am looking at is the Olympus Evolt E-300. just would like to hear your thoughts about this camera or if you recomend a differant camera let me know. I am not willing to spend more then $800 for lens and body and i would like a camera that can print 8x10 at 300 dpi which i have been told i need a 7+mp camera to acheive this. Thanks for your advice in advance.

oh and the best deal on the camera i have found is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830111157
Seems decent to me. Olympus makes good cameras but I have never used or know of anyone who has used it personally so I couldn't tell you much. This guy in my class uses a Sony Cybershot 8mp and it seems that Olympus may be better than that as the Sony does not have the interchangeable lenses feature. I am surprised nobody has posted anything, I guess they have never used it like me. Canon and Sigma and Nikon are the ones I know best.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

6.1 megapixels can print up to 51x34 so you definitely dont need to get 7+

Take a look around for a canon digital rebel (not xt). I think best buy sells them for 800 with a lens so you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

Get a 300D thats what i had before my 20D, and i picked it up from beachcamera.com with a good package for about $750.
Thanks
Alex
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmaccoll
Get a 300D thats what i had before my 20D, and i picked it up from beachcamera.com with a good package for about $750.
Thanks
Alex
300D = Digital Rebel to lessen confusion
350D = Digital Rebel XT

QUOTE Thanks
Tel

I'd also say you'd be better off picking up a Canon, while it might cost a little more it will be well worth it because of the amount of very high quality lenses available. I'll soon be picking up a very highly rated lens thats known for its sharpness, colour and contrast. The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L for little over 300 brand new, a very cheap lens for what it is.
QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
6.1 megapixels can print up to 51x34 so you definitely dont need to get 7+
but at 51x34 whats the quality like?

also from what i was seeing the Digital Rebel seemed to cost just as much (if not more) for just the body. i will keep looking though. I talked to my photo teacher and he recomended both as good cameras for my money but that i will most likely pay more for the canon because they are such a name brand when it comes to cameras. i would plan on checking the camera out in a store this weekend but i am getting my wisdom teeth pulled so it will have to wait until atleast next week to even look at them (not like i have the money yet anyways).
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

I haven't printed the 51x34 but quality should be fine because the native size of the pictures is 3072x2048 which in inches is 51.2" x 34.13".

http://students.hamilton.edu/2008/rmullins/ Those are some shots I took last week for people I knew on the teams with my Digital Rebel. I had to shrink them a bunch so I could fit them on the server but they are a good representation of the good image processing chips they use.

http://www.42photo.com/productdetail...me=description

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...teID=k893&mid=

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...atalogId=10001

Those are all in your price range (the last one had no shipping or tax I noticed)

QUOTE Thanks
quanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
I haven't printed the 51x34 but quality should be fine because the native size of the pictures is 3072x2048 which in inches is 51.2" x 34.13".

http://students.hamilton.edu/2008/rmullins/ Those are some shots I took last week for people I knew on the teams with my Digital Rebel. I had to shrink them a bunch so I could fit them on the server but they are a good representation of the good image processing chips they use.

http://www.42photo.com/productdetail...me=description

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...teID=k893&mid=

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...atalogId=10001

Those are all in your price range (the last one had no shipping or tax I noticed)
how did you print that large without a loss of quality?

that seems to be a stretch of the truth.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanz
how did you print that large without a loss of quality?

that seems to be a stretch of the truth.
Umm its not. Those are the actual sizes of the photo's in terms of real pixels. Printing anything small then that is compressing them a bit but those dimensions I listed are the actual sizes of the photos without compression

QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

what dpi would that be though? i would expect that to be horribly blown out but then again i have never tried printing at that size and never will.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahsboy18

sarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nicesarahsboy18 is just really nice
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutless217
what dpi would that be though? i would expect that to be horribly blown out but then again i have never tried printing at that size and never will.
That would probably be around 70dpi.... But keep in mind this isn't print. You aren't going to hold a blownup 51.2" x 34.13" image 6 inches from your face and try to read 10pt. text off of it.

Take a close look at any blown up image even from film (unless shot on a large format) and it will look very grainy compared to a 600dpi print piece... But it still looks just fine hanging on the wall.

The screen you are looking at on your mac is probably not far from 70dpi. In fact the 17" Powerbook/iMac are 72dpi I believe.

"If you had a friend who was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down a sidewalk, and he fell, that would be completely unacceptable." -Mitch Hedberg
QUOTE Thanks
Odin_aa

Odin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the roughOdin_aa is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM

Check out the used cameras available from KEH and B&H camera shops. Both reputable businesses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

http://www.keh.com/hmpg/index.cfm
QUOTE Thanks
callarose

I own a Nikon D100 (6.1 Megapixels, 3,008 x 2,000 pixels) and I use it to shoot weddings, nature, etc. I've printed 16"x20" portraits using the "medium" mode (2,240 x 1,488). You can see some pixelation if you're up close, but is comperable to the graininess in 35mm negatives (Kodak, 400 speed film) that I've also printed as 16x20. In "High" or "Raw" the pixelation is even less.

Granted, the Nikon is out of the price range you are looking at (body only was $1000 3 years ago), but I use it as an example of the quality from a 6 megapixel camera. . . a Nikon D50 body sells for about $650 at Ritz Camera. Nikon lenses are expensive, but Tamron also makes relatively good lenses. I went with the Nikon over Canon only because I already had lenses for my 35mm SLR. . . otherwise I'd be torn between the 2 - Canon makes some of the quietest lenses on the market, which is better for weddings, etc. where you want to be discreet and not have distracting motor sounds when the lens autofocuses (manual focus corrects this problem, though, with Nikon, Tamron, Sigma etc.)

Wouldn't trade my camera for the world - I never use my 35mm SLR anymore - it sits in its camera bag and collects dust!

Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
rosso

I have just bought the Canon 350D and OMG its stunning. Don't get an OLD 300D thats like buying Panther instead of Tiger! 350D isnt much more. Go for the newer model mate.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« photobooth | IMac memory problems »