New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Screen Resolution on Macbook Pro through Mini Display

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sjp1982

sjp1982 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", iPhone 4, iPad 8gb Wifi

Hi,

Firstly, this is my first time posting on these forums so I hope my question has found the right bracket for this.

I am currently the proud owner of a Macbook Pro 15" from 2009 and I have never had any problems with the piece, just until now. I usually have it connected to a Samsung 32" screen when I am at home and through the mini display - HDMI it has been running flawlessly for about a year.

A couple of days ago I had some internet connectivity issues and switched my laptop off and on a couple of times in an attempt to fix it (with success I might add) but for some reason my screen resolution to the Samsung screen has suddenly dropped as a result. Regardless of the settings I try I get a grainy image on the screen, definitely not a 1080p output. I have tried different HDMI cables, different HDMI ports.... I have even taken the computer to work to try a different TV! Still the same grainy image. I cannot for the life of me figure out why this has suddenly dropped in the output. The screen on the laptop itself is fine, it's only when connected to an external source.

Anyone have any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Note: 'Tis always better to ask one of the staff to move a thread than to create duplicates.

Try a reset of the SMC.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
sjp1982

I tried resetting the SMC and it didn't seem to make much difference. The weird thing is it used to work fine, and it has suddenly dropped resolution.

And thanks for the note, as I said, I'm new on here Please would an admin move this to the 'Other Hardware and Peripherals'-Forum as it seems more appropriate.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Video settings are also stored in PRAM. Try resetting the PRAM. Good luck!

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
sjp1982

A good call and I would never have thought of it myself, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I am starting to dread that it is something small and stupid that I have done, and when I find it I'll be kicking myself for a week! Either that, or it's something dead serious
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Another member some time ago had the same problem as you; it turned out that he did not scroll upward in the display resolution selection box far enough to select "1080p". The "1080p" selection will be at the top of the menu scroll box so make sure you're scrolling upward far enough to see it and select it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Convert PDF to 400 DPI uncompressed TIFF | Burning events to a dvd »