New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Lens Advice from Nikon DSLR Users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I am going to add to my kit in the near future and am interested in one of the following:

Sigma 10-20 F/4 HSM
Tamron 10-24 F/3.5

I shoot a Nikon D5000 so I am only considering lenses with built in focus motor. Would appreciate any comments or recommendations on the two lenses above (or any others I should look at).

My budget is $500 USD

Thanks,
Mike

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Doug B and Village Idiot is kind of the resident Photography gurus, maybe they can help you.

I usually visit this site a lot when I'm thinking about purchasing a new lense.

Pretty easy to navigate and find the lens. You get user reviews and ratings as well as a review from the site as well.

Might also be a good idea to see if you can rent the lens and see how it performs before you buy.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Doug B and Village Idiot is kind of the resident Photography gurus, maybe they can help you.

I usually visit this site a lot when I'm thinking about purchasing a new lense.

Pretty easy to navigate and find the lens. You get user reviews and ratings as well as a review from the site as well.

Might also be a good idea to see if you can rent the lens and see how it performs before you buy.
Thanks,
Looks like an interesting site.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

And don't forget the used market too. Nikon lenses are generally excellent and last years, so you may be able to pick up a truly great lens at a much better price. Plenty of used dealers too, so I'm not talking eBay.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

MacGandalf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7, iPhone5, iPad4, Apple tv3, iPod5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I am going to add to my kit in the near future and am interested in one of the following:

Sigma 10-20 F/4 HSM
Tamron 10-24 F/3.5

I shoot a Nikon D5000 so I am only considering lenses with built in focus motor. Would appreciate any comments or recommendations on the two lenses above (or any others I should look at).

My budget is $500 USD

Thanks,
Mike
Seeing as you are resident in the USA you will find this site a wealth of info. I am a UK member.

Discussion Forums @ Nikonians - User menu

Check it out.

MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Have to go to work in a bit so real quick:

Tamron = Yuuck.

Sigma is hit and miss, though I do own a couple which are very good.

For wide angle, Sigma and Tokina are best if going third party. Tokina make a nice 11-16mm, and it pairs well tonally with Nikon bodies. I'll post more info later from work.

Don't discount buying used. If a lens is in good shape (no fungus or oily aperture blades) then there's no reason not to buy that way. KEH.com is a very good source for used, as is BHphoto.com and adorama.com as well. KEH has a bigger selection of older manual focus lenses, which I'm really into.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Have to go to work in a bit so real quick:

Tamron = Yuuck.

Sigma is hit and miss, though I do own a couple which are very good.

For wide angle, Sigma and Tokina are best if going third party. Tokina make a nice 11-16mm, and it pairs well tonally with Nikon bodies. I'll post more info later from work.

Don't discount buying used. If a lens is in good shape (no fungus or oily aperture blades) then there's no reason not to buy that way. KEH.com is a very good source for used, as is BHphoto.com and adorama.com as well. KEH has a bigger selection of older manual focus lenses, which I'm really into.

Doug
Thanks, Doug.
I would like to go with the Tokina based on reviews I've seen but the lack of AF on my D5000 is an issue. Have they updated it to add the AF motor? If so I would probably jump on it. I had more or less defaulted to the Sigma because I was unable/unwilling to pony up for the Nikon lens.

Thanks again,
Mike

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

When are you planning on purchasing the new lens? I meant to reply last night but was unusually busy. And now we're stepping out to enjoy the day, but will hopefully be able to go into detail a bit later.

What I can tell you right now though is, NEVER SKIMP ON GLASS! Second guessing a purchase because of budgetary constraints will only lead to a less involved, less fun and certainly a less professional (if you're planning on honing those skills) overall experience. If it means having to save for another few months, I'd say it will be worth your while. Much more detail on that part later.

One more point: Think of good glass like a Mac and think of typical third party glass like a Gateway laptop. No one is going to buy your third party junk if you want to opt in to better glass later. You're going to have to save all over again. But if you have good glass, people WILL buy, guaranteed. Why would you want to sell you're asking? Perhaps you've learned that you would rather shoot at a different focal length and such. Believe me, it happens.

It's great to have a wide angle lens in ones repertoire, but the focal length you're looking at is aimed more towards indefinite usage for landscape or interior/architectural work. Both of which require critically good optics IMHO. So from that perspective, you really don't want to get just any ol' lens.

More on that later though.. I must scoot.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

I was planning on buying later this summer, but can wait if I need to. Landscape would be my primary use for the lens. I'm willing to pay more for better glass, but pushing $1000 is getting out of my comfort zone right now.

QUOTE Thanks
Mac Math

Mac Math has a spectacular aura about

A small tip: buy a prime lens. It's focal length is fixed. They are cheaper and you don't need to zoom if you are shooting landscapes. Walk back and forth - thats your zoom. In cities this is difficult to do because you don't have much space to move (streets,cars,poles,trees,people,...) but landscapes, you got all the space you need.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Everyone should have a 'normal' prime.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Math

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Everyone should have a 'normal' prime.
50mm you mean then or if you have a 1.6 sensor it would be something around 35mm I guess?

In your case you sensor is 1.5.

link
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Math View Post
50mm you mean then or if you have a 1.6 sensor it would be something around 35mm I guess?

In your case you sensor is 1.5.

link
I've always considered either 35mm or 50mm to be in the 'normal' range. With DX sensors, you can probably toss a 28mm in there as well. To be honest, at 50mm you're starting to get long enough to use for portraiture (I use either an 80 or 135mm lens with a FX or 35mm film)

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Math

As long he keeps in mind he has a DX sensor - 50mm isn't 50mm but 50 x 1.5 so it becomes 75mm, but long for landscapes isn't it?

I agree with you about the 28mm!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

When I read the first post in this string of replies my thought was, "Is he crazy? A UW prime will easily run $1000 or more."

Then I saw the rest. Good advice. I have the 35mm f1.8 along with the kit zooms and the Nikon 70-300 AF-s

What I am looking for is something to cover the general range from 10 to 18mm without breaking the bank.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto slideshow query | computer wont save sharpness on viewnx/iphoto »