New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

duplicate pictures in iphoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

benjamin163

benjamin163 is on a distinguished road

I have amassed thousands of photos and now think I need to do a cull and tidy up. Joy!
Thing is, I have noticed a number of duplicate photos, which is strange because my computer usually gives me the option of not downloading duplicate images, but somehow these have squeezed in. (I think most of them seem to be ones I have downloaded from my phone for some reason)
Question is, is there a simple way of getting rid of all these.
And does anyone have any general tips on how to tidy up a few thousand photographs.
Thanks in advance for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Shoeboat

Shoeboat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15"

There's a downloadable app called 'Duplicate Annihialator' which will sort out your problem, here's the link:

Duplicate Annihilator for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads

It's not free but it's not expensive, about $7. I'm going to get it myself but the question I have is, which duplicate will it keep if there's pics that have been renamed or have different sizes. Let me know if you find out!
QUOTE Thanks
benjamin163

benjamin163 is on a distinguished road

Thanks shoeboat, I'll look into it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeboat View Post
I'm going to get it myself but the question I have is, which duplicate will it keep if there's pics that have been renamed or have different sizes. Let me know if you find out!
It offers you a choice of which one to get rid of, or you can set it to automatically get rid of (example) the smaller or the two, or the JPG version of the two, or the whatever.
QUOTE Thanks
Shoeboat

Shoeboat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15"

Nice one Chas, thanks - definitely worth getting. Hopefully I can use it on both my new and old Macbook.

Benjamin you're welcome, it's nice to be able to help somebody for once!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« corrupted iphoto library | iphoto and lots of photos »