New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Good books about RAW processing basics, particularly using LR?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I finally decided to go with Lightroom for organizing and processing my photos, and now Im look for some good info to guide me on processing. If anyone has any good book suggestions, particularly any books that use Lightroom 3, I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I don't know any books off hand.. but, this is a pretty good resource to get you started until someone posts up something better.

AdobeTV

edit: keep in mind the last good books I read on exposure (negative or print) were The Camera, The Negative and The Print.. other than textbooks in college.. which really reiterated much of the same info, in a much blander way.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

MacGandalf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7, iPhone5, iPad4, Apple tv3, iPod5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I finally decided to go with Lightroom for organizing and processing my photos, and now Im look for some good info to guide me on processing. If anyone has any good book suggestions, particularly any books that use Lightroom 3, I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Check out Scott Kelby's Lightroom 3 book:
Whats New in my New Lightroom 3 Book Scott Kelby's Photoshop Insider Blog Photoshop & Digital Photography Techniques, Tutorials, Books, Reviews & More

MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Awesome Lightroom 3 training videos from the Luminous Landscape website. (superb photography forum there as well) ...

Lightroom 3 Tutorial

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Haven't read it but seen good reviews for After the Shoot for Adobe PSE.

Amazon.com: Photoshop Elements 8 After the Shoot (9780470565094): Mark Fitzgerald: Books

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
MontyMo

MontyMo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) [Paperback]

15" MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

The Scott Kelly book looks pretty decent and has plenty of good reviews. I think I'll check that one out.

In the meantime abodeTV and Lightroom tutorials look pretty good for a free source also.

Thanks all!

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
chappers

chappers is on a distinguished road

Try Martin Evenings books. I prefer his style to Scott Kelby's. I'd also give a +1 to the Luminous Landscape video's
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

The problem I find with books is that they're expensive and get outdated quickly... I would always suggest tutorials online before going for a book!

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukeh View Post
The problem I find with books is that they're expensive and get outdated quickly... I would always suggest tutorials online before going for a book!
Well I'm more looking for something with the basics that can show me exactly where to go in LR3 at the same time. As I get better I'll look to online tutorials and the photography community in general for more advanced info.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto and lots of photos | Framed Pictures won't print iWork Pages »