New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Hey guys- I really need help with this!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

swimm3r137

swimm3r137 is an unknown at this point

I have some photos that I need to make bigger, but I'm having problems. I have a few ideas, but their not working..

I'm modeling for this agency and I have a few photos that they asked me to make at least 1mb in size. The original size of them is about 135-150kb, so yeah. I'm very unfamiliar with how to do this, but have a few ideas such as increasing the resolution or maybe changing formats to increase the size?
Like I said, I don't know how to do this. I tried, but I'm worried by doing this (which I still don't know how to do) it will ruin the quality of the picture. Obviously it's not in HD now, or high resolution, but can u go from low to better quality/resolution? Or is it only the other way around.

Any help on this would really be appreciated- thanks guys!
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

If you go for a higher resolution the images may look grainy. It is not possible to go from low to high quality unless you want to do some editing with Photoshop or a similar software.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s

They want large photos for high quality. Taking small files size photos and enlarging them will end up with very pixalated and largely unrecognisable images. So the short answer is you can't. Have them retaken on a high resolution with a decent SLR.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
swimm3r137

swimm3r137 is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicew View Post
If you go for a higher resolution the images may look grainy. It is not possible to go from low to high quality unless you want to do some editing with Photoshop or a similar software.
If you have photoshop, it's possible? Or it just looks better? If it's gonna look ****** anyways, maybe it's not worth the trouble. I was thinking just changing the format in preview and saving it as a TIF file instead of jpeg. That's increases it a bit.

I guess they sorta are grainy as they are in the small jpg format.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Generally in computing, taking a file, and trying to increase the quality of something if its already been compressed is impossible.

this goes for pictures, movies, music, you name it.

you cant make a 320kbps MP3 and make it sound like a WAV file

you cant enlarge the resolution of a movie after its been recorded without losing quality.

and you cant enlarge pictures without losing some of the original quality.

The general rule is, if you want something right, do it again, dont mess with it "in the box".

so:

re rip the song into WAV format

re-encode/reshoot the video at the preffered resolution

re-take the picture at the right resolution

or suffer the consequences. My lecturer put it beautifully:

Quote:
You can't polish a turd.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Mythbusters proved you could polish a turd, but robduckyworth is right, you can't increase the size without it looking like crap.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Like everyone here already stated it's not going to be of good quality. Especially when the files have been compressed and edited already.

The only way to get the files to be 1MB in size and are of good/decent quality is if you have the original files. (Preferable RAW) Edit the files and then save them as JPEGs.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Like everyone here already stated it's not going to be of good quality. Especially when the files have been compressed and edited already.

The only way to get the files to be 1MB in size and are of good/decent quality is if you have the original files. (Preferable RAW) Edit the files and then save them as JPEGs.
Tiffs would very likely be better for their purposes.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Picture Converting trouble | FYI: Lightroom 3 available on Amazon for $179 »