Wales, UK
    Budget Software Suggestions
    Hi guys,
    I'm in need some photo editing software with decent text editing facilities... it needs to have text to path (mostly just circles) and have text effects (mainly shadows and borders).

I currently use Photoshop which I love but I need to buy something... and Photoshop is expensive (and in many ways excessive).

Is there anything cheaper or free out there that can offer these text editing facilities along with relatively simple photo editing tools?

Just to add to this...
    "GIMP" - yes I know, but I have tried and tried and don't get on with it at all... and the text effects I'm after have to be done manually... I think.

"InkScape" - Great for the paths but lacks the photo editing bits.

"You can easily add text effects manually with layers" - yeah I know, but I do this ALOT as part of my job, so a "border" button etc seriously speeds up my day.

I've looked at every lower cost package I can find but I'm struggling to find an answer. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.

The Republic of Neptune
    There are two image editors in particular that are very popular, powerful in their own ways, and very reasonably priced. I can't say if they meet your needs, but both have free trials.

Acorn, a great Mac image editor, built for humans.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Wales, UK
    Thanks for your reply.
    I've been having a good look at both of these all day which both seem excellent for the money. The problem I have right now is I don't have a Mac here to test them out on.

Pixelmator... from what I can gather, there may some filters that will achieve the goal... not ideal if it's destructive and/or not as flexible as text to path.

Acorn 3... this seems perfect from what I gather from the website. It has various text rotating options and vector tools as well as appropriate filters so you'd think it would be just what I'm after. I intend to wade through the manual on this one to see what I can suss out... from what I've deduced so far curving text to path isn't actually possible.

But of course, anyone uses either of these and can confirm or deny they will do the job I'm all ears

Photoshop Express.

It's online, and it's free

Photo Editor, Online Photo Editor, Photoshop Express |

And it works with PC or Mac, so you can try it out now.
     iMac 21.5" 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.8.3

Cleveland, Ohio
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    +1 for Pixelmator
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Toledo, Ohio
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Thread Information