New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

How do I remove the background from a photo using iphoto?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

strnge

strnge is on a distinguished road

How do I edit out the background of a photo in iphoto? I want to remove something from the background since it is distracting.

I just bought my MAC and do not have photoshop for it. I want to see if Iphoto can do it. I don't have the cash for photoshop CS5 right now.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

iPhoto has rudimentary editing capability. You can use the blemish removal brush to do some touchup. A better choice is Adobe PSE, far cheaper than CS5. There are also other options such as Pixelmator (which I have not used).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

+1 for Photoshop Elements. But look at the free Gimp or Seashore too. Both get regular mentions here although I've never used them.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

If you're looking for that level of photo editing, but don't really need pixel critical work, I'd actually recommend getting Aperture over Elements for the reason that you can just totally replace iPhoto and not look back. Aperture is about the same price so you not only get very good editing capabilities, but the use of a DAM as well.

My only suggestion if getting something like Aperture is to create a folder hierarchy for your genres. If you want to go even further, I'd say create them with dates such as the year and at least the month. The metadata will contain the dates so this isn't always necessary but it makes folder browsing easier if you don't want to search out metadata fields.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sharpness Lost In Mac Preview while saving | Photoshop Elements 9 Installation Problems »