New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Aperture?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Breny

Breny is on a distinguished road

Is this program better than Photoshop? I have photoshop and wondering if I should by this when buying a new imac?
QUOTE Thanks
tvick47

tvick47 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" i7 2.2

It's not like photoshop, it's closer to Lightroom. Aperture has to do with organization and manipulation.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

They're different products for different needs. Aperture is more comparable to Adobe Lightroom. It's basically iPhoto on steroids. If you need full blown manipulation software, Photoshop still reigns supreme.

But before you spend your money, have a good, long look at iPhoto (preinstalled on your new Mac, great for organizing your images and quick edits) and also at Pixelmator for more advanced image editing.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Breny

Breny is on a distinguished road

Thank you! This helps alot and saves me $
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Is Aperture any good for working with RAW files? Someone else had suggested it to me, but in the description in the App Store it doesn't say anything about that. From the description it just sounds like an expensive version of iPhoto, which isn't what I'm looking for.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
Is Aperture any good for working with RAW files? Someone else had suggested it to me, but in the description in the App Store it doesn't say anything about that. From the description it just sounds like an expensive version of iPhoto, which isn't what I'm looking for.
iPhoto and Aperture both handle RAW files (I shoot RAW only on my Nikon D5000 with no issues). Predominately use Aperture and have Adobe PSE for additional editing if needed.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
No - it offers much more than iPhoto. It can handle RAW just fine - and for most users - will cover everything you need in terms of editing.

Edit: Razormac types faster!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aperture 2 import problem | iPhoto; keywords and slideshow »