New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Canon EOS 20D Not Found on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Arielluria

Arielluria is an unknown at this point

I just changed back to using my awesome Canon EOS 20D SLR and my Mac won't recognize it! It doesn't show up on Picasa, nor in Finder. I looked for drivers from the Canon website and there were none.

Running Mac OS 10.5.8

A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet on petfinder.com
Mac OSX
QUOTE Thanks
Arielluria

Never mind, I found my disk
I'm so used to the Mac's ease on everything I didn't even think about an install disk. LOL.

Mac OSX
QUOTE Thanks
Arielluria

Apparently I DO still need help My camera still not found!

Mac OSX
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s

Try this page from Canon website...

EOS 20D

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
MacGandalf

MacGandalf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7, iPhone5, iPad4, Apple tv3, iPod5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielluria View Post
I just changed back to using my awesome Canon EOS 20D SLR and my Mac won't recognize it! It doesn't show up on Picasa, nor in Finder. I looked for drivers from the Canon website and there were none.

Running Mac OS 10.5.8
By your post I take it that you are wanting to tether your 20D to your Mac. Suggest you use a card reader to transfer your files to your computer to whatever photo editing software you use.

MacGandalf: Have waited all my life for a woman with a sword to come rescue me!!
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Just read the card. I have many, many Canons including 20D, 5DII, and 1DIII. I just read the card directly and select and move those files I wish from the card to wherever I want them stored (as well as my backup drives).
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've had problems connecting dSLRs to my Macbook. This is why I just got a USB card reader for $10 and saved myself the trouble of trying to get it to work.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Arielluria

My Canon printer already has a card reader, so problem solved

Mac OSX
QUOTE Thanks
vv_lebelie

vv_lebelie is on a distinguished road

plug your 20d via usb then open image capture.

This will allow you to import all your images to a mac.

Let me know if it works
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

infocusinc will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vv_lebelie View Post
plug your 20d via usb then open image capture.

This will allow you to import all your images to a mac.

Let me know if it works

My experience with MBP's and usb connection to Canon cameras..lots of them...has been dismal. So bad I would not use a MBP as a tethered capture solution on a shoot.

I don't really understand the problem and no one else has been able to tell my my or find a fix.

I've never had similar problems with any windows box or laptop for many years, to the point I just purchased a new sandybridge Toshiba to use on location. Half the cost of a MBP, just as fast and it works every time.

Come on Apple get your stuff together....

Craig Lamson - Craig Lamson Photo

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I have a much more lowly Canon (not DSLR) that plugs right into my MacBook with no issues. The trick was to NOT install the Canon software.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Mac Specs: '11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I have a much more lowly Canon (not DSLR) that plugs right into my MacBook with no issues. The trick was to NOT install the Canon software.

That's wonderful but if you want to tether your camera for shooting you MUST install some software be it Canon, Phase One, Breeze, or Helicon Focus.

Nothing works in a reliable manner on a MBP, of different sizes and vintages with my setup or cameras. It has and continues to work flawlessly on windows desktops and laptops of different sizes, vintages and OS versions.

This a a Mac problem.

I truly wish it was not.

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I apologise that I didn't comprehend that this was a tethering question.

My only suggestion would be that your OS is pretty old now, if you can upgrade that might solve the issue -- and would cost you a measly $30 to find out. I would of course check Apple's support technotes for a specific mention of your camera, or some photography sites to see if there is someone else out there who has solved the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
infocusinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I apologise that I didn't comprehend that this was a tethering question.

My only suggestion would be that your OS is pretty old now, if you can upgrade that might solve the issue -- and would cost you a measly $30 to find out. I would of course check Apple's support technotes for a specific mention of your camera, or some photography sites to see if there is someone else out there who has solved the issue.
No problem, I'm on 10.67 2011MBP 15". Been the tech support and forum routes to no avail.

My solution is just not to use a Mac for this application, which stinks since I bought two MBP's. We, (my wife and I) will continue to use then as day to day machines but my photo work both location shooting and workstation processing will stay PC machines with Windows 7.

As for Lion, that will be a wait and see. I had MBP to NEC external monitor issues with the last non os updates (and had to reload so I'll sit for awhile to see on lion works out before I upgrade

www.craiglamson.com
QUOTE Thanks
chappers

chappers is on a distinguished road

I've used the Canon software to shoot tethered on a MBP with a 20D 5D and a 1Dslll. Just make sure the communications option is set to PC not PTP print, which is probably by default.

You might want to get the latest version of the Canon software. You can download it from the Canon site, but you'll need to have the original installed first.

The Canon software is not bad for tethered shooting, however I use Lightroom now which is a better. But the Canon software is on the MPB, just in case
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to iPhoto - problem with cropping | iPhoto shows an event as empty »