New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto won't open

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lyoshka

Lyoshka is on a distinguished road

NB: I did post this in the OS threads, but thought I might get bigger exposure if i post it here, too.. hope it's ok, i'm pretty desperate!
~~~~~~~~~~
A bit of a background. On my old Macbook, the iPhoto at one point just wouldn't open anymore. I was pretty maxed out on space (old 160Gb machine), so I assumed it was because I had no space. I eventually moved the entire library onto an EHD and didn't bother with it.

I just bought a gorgeous new MBP 13 and now here's the problem. I copied the iPhoto library onto the new MBP and it won't open First it says it needs to upgrade the library to work with iPhoto 11, fine. It examines the library and then starts the "Upgrading iPhoto Database" message, and that's where it stays. I have 60gbs in that library, so i know it's big, I have tried 3 different times, get same messages. Yesterday I let it go all evening and overnight just to be sure I was giving it enough time.. in the morning, same message. No progress report, nothing, like it's stuck.

Is my iPhoto library corrupted? Is there a way for me to move parts of the library and maybe that way determine if there is a problem somewhere? I hope someone can help!!

thank you so much in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Try holding the cmd+alt keys when opening iPhoto, this should open a dialog box for repairing your library database.

Hope this helps
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

And do not cross post! Posting the same thing in more than one forum causes confusion and clutter. Your cross post has been deleted.
QUOTE Thanks
Lyoshka

sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
Lyoshka

Simon, thanks for the post. I tried that, brought up the dialog box and first picked the first box (Repair database, i think), let it go for about 10 min, same result as before. The system wants to upgrade the library and the upgrade bar just keeps going and going and I have no idea if it's doing anything.
then I shut it down, opened it back up and checked all boxes in the repair dialog box. Same result.

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice

Well you could try re-adding all the photos. Now it means you may lose your albums and faces you creates for it but this may be your only option.
Open iPhoto whilst holding the alt key, click "Create New..."
Next right click your old iPhoto Library in Home > Pictures and click show package contents, then scroll down until you find the "Masters" folder, this contains all the original photos in their original format. You can then drag that folder into the iPhoto window to add them. Once done you can delete the old iPhoto Library.

Hope this helps
- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Lyoshka

Simon, it worked! It imported all my pics, even keeping the events. Obviously, I lost albums and such, but that's ok, i'll reorganize everything.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I really appreciate it. Repped
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

No worries at all, just glad to help, I have had alot of experience in losing photos as you can see from this thread about my failed hard drive, only happy to help someone else out because I know how heart-breaking it can be to think you may have lost photos.
My nasty experience with a broken HDD.

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Lyoshka

wow, that is some story! My new MBP lives on top of the mantel now when my 23 month old is in vicinity. And given that my old Macbook has experinced a full cup of coffee(at my hand) and a year later, some Pinot Grigio (compliments of hubby)-and LIVED!! which is a total shock-I have a new, NO liquids rule when it comes to my 3 day old MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Sounds like you need to keep it in one of those laboratory containers they use to mix hazardous liquids, where you have to put your hands in the holes into the gloves

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Lyoshka

you may be right. But this new baby is too hot to be hidden from the world I'm just being super careful around babies and CATS! lol
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

And hubby's I hope lol

- Simon

May 2011
QUOTE Thanks
Lyoshka

hahah.... well, i can't throw stones at hubby, since *I* spilled a whole cup of coffee on my old Macbook before he ever spilled a little Pinot
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto won't print | iPhoto - The volume for "IMG_222" cannot be found. »