New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Giving color to a black and white photo

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LeandrodaFL

LeandrodaFL is on a distinguished road

Hello, I have simple and yet hard question. How do I turn a black and white picture into a colored picture?

Let me be more specific. If I wanted to turn a colored picture into black and white, all I had to do is open with Preview and set the saturation to zero. I could as well open it in iPhoto and select the black and white effect. Plain and simple.

And thats what Im looking for regarding my question. I want to open a black and white photo in some application, press a button, and instantly make it colored, every pixel of it. Boom, thats how fast I want.

Im at first, looking for a free solution. I have alredy installed on my OS the applications Preview, iPhoto, Xee and Picassa. Does any of these do the trick? Is there an application online I can download?

Any help is apreciated
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi,

According to this walk through Picassa can do what you want.How to Turn Something on a Black & White Photo to Color in Picasa? | eHow.com
QUOTE Thanks
LeandrodaFL

LeandrodaFL is on a distinguished road

thanks for the reply but it did not work. And thats hardly pressing a button. The solution given revolves choosing yellow and purple tones, wich are subjective.

I want an application that analyzes the black and white photo and automatically sets color to it.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL View Post
thanks for the reply but it did not work. And thats hardly pressing a button. The solution given revolves choosing yellow and purple tones, wich are subjective.

I want an application that analyzes the black and white photo and automatically sets color to it.
I don't think such an application exist. If it does please do give us the link.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Ihave not seen an app for OS X either and only one that I know of is for Windows. That would be Black Magic. But, you can try:

Coloriage from Arkvis with a 10 day free trial.

Available as a stand alone app or plugin for Photoshop.

Tutorial

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You're simply not going a to get 1 click solution. The colour information simply isn't present in a greyscale image.

At best, see Coloriage suggested above, you have to 'suggest' colours for an area. The tool will then have an attempt to detect edges of where there's a colour change.

It's a complex business at best and really very different to just desaturating an image.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« High-res image capture problem from PDF to SMART Notebook | External Hard drives »