Model Name: Powerbook G4
    Processor Name: Power PC G4 (2.1)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 550 MHz
    L2 Cache (per cpu): 256
    Memory: 256MB
    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.2.9fl

to access virgin media broadband wirelessly I need - Minimum Computer Specification for 50Mb

Minimum Requirement
    Processor (Intel) 2GHz (2000Mhz)
    Operating System OSX 10.3
    Memory 1GByte RAM
    Hard Drive 150 MB free space
    Disk Drive CD-ROM drive
    Email Client Mac Mail
    Internet Browser Safari 1.2 +
    Computer Interface 100 Mbps Ethernet card (NIC)
    Screen Display SVGA display 800x600x256 colours or greater
    Connection Method Virgin Media Super Hub

Is it possible to upgrade the powerbook I know I can buy memory but will that help with the rest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Chris

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Sadly not, you need Intel, and you can't upgrade that part of the Powerbook.
    I'm a little confused as to why they need such spec. I use my Powerbook on my wireless network, which is run by a Vigin modem and D Link router. Same service. Must be something to do with the required interface for the hub, which is generally regarded as being a bit rubbish.
    I would be tempted to ask Virgin if they can supply a seperate modem and wifi router, rather than the hub.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Many thanks for your reply the problem is with my daughters broadband and virgin media since she moved in November and had virgin media installed which worked up until christmas on her 3 year old HP Laptop (the installers configured the laptop at installation) she has not been able to connect wirelessly since. As I have an old powerbook i thought it would be worth trying to get that working wirelessly. Both the HP laptop and powerbook connect fine at my house wirelessly with bt broadband. We have spent hours on the phone to virgin some of the help operators are very helpful some not so. I would just like to find a solution to save her the expense of buying a new laptop.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Well if she already has wi-fi enabled, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to connect to the network, it's not anything to do with the spec of the Powerbook, you don't need to be Intel for wi-fi to work, but I will say, that my mum has had a similar issue. Her netbook connects to our wi-fi no problem at all, but in her house she cannot get it to connect. Virgin say the hub is fine, but I know it's not. It's a piece of junk. I can't get on to her network either, it just doesn't show up, either on my Powerbook or my iPod Touch.
    My mum has also spent hours on the phone to them, and they know less than you or I.
    They seriously need to ditch the hub (glad I don't have one) and go back to the modem/router solution.
    I'd badger them for it to be honest, and write to Branson, he's quite accomodating.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    iMac: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini2, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
    They seriously need to ditch the hub.
    Or ditch Virgin.

Personally I use Zen which cannot be beaten on service (they call you back at their expense!). It's pricey but as the saying goes you get what you pay for.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Specs:
    No Virgin's service is good, it's the hub that's killing them at the moment. They just need to realise.
    My service has been fine, no hitches at all.

I think we will persist with getting virgin to change the hub all they say when they can't help and we end up going around in circles is that the laptops are faulty and we should have them checked out or if they have to come out there will be a charge. It is so annoying. One other thing we know that the wifi will work with a new mac laptop which is what makes me wonder if it is because the powerbook is not powerful enough for the high speed broadband.

Specs:
    Nope, shouldn't have anything to do with it. I can connect with mine (albeit a higher spec model). If it has an Airport extreme card on board it should be fine.

Thread Information