New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Images too dark

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

I was using my printer to print out images for my assignment for school, and a good majority of them came out either too dark, the colors were somewhat muted, or both. How would I fix something like this so that my printer matches what my monitor shows? I have heard of calibration software out there for monitors, and I have tried them for my system, but it turned out screwing with the video card entirely and I had to reset the system almost entirely to get it back to normal.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

You have a couple of choices. You can either send your files out to be printed at a professional photo lab, where they'll do color correction for you, or you'll have to invest in calibration hardware/software and possibly even a new monitor. The latter depends upon how well your current monitor takes to calibrating.

There are many factors involved when it comes to calibrating, and it's not so straight forward all the time. Calibrating your monitor is one thing, but calibrating your printer is yet another. What is your budget for such things?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
mknabster

mknabster has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac

For jobs I have an account at a lab called mpixpro, but for this assignment, I don't feel a need to print it there, especially with the time crunch i have for when it was due. I honestly don't have much of a budget, but I buy when needed. The times i do use my printer though, I would like it to match the color i see properly.

-Matt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photographer turning Pro... software suggestions? | Problem with preview of .Nef file in Bridge »