Specs:
    21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
    Adopt Photoshop Elements < or > Paint Shop Pro?
    So we're coming from a PC background....Mac Noob. Obviously my old copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 will not run on the Mac, and I'm not entirely sure I want to try running it in Parallels.

I do a lot of graphic editing, "photoshopping" work if you will. I take images, strip the background, shade it, invert colors, mix-n-match, andflip the opacity, and generally play images as if they were 6-string banjos. Paint Shop Pro 7 (more or less) met my needs. I tried GIMP and its pretty rough.

Simply put, will Photoshop Elements do all I need? I need to occasionally freehand cut images, put them on different layers, often transparent, and save them as PNGs. I'd just like to be certain before I pony up $100 for it.
    21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).

Quote Originally Posted by Phacade View Post
    So we're coming from a PC background....Mac Noob. Obviously my old copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 will not run on the Mac, and I'm not entirely sure I want to try running it in Parallels.

I do a lot of graphic editing, "photoshopping" work if you will. I take images, strip the background, shade it, invert colors, mix-n-match, andflip the opacity, and generally play images as if they were 6-string banjos. Paint Shop Pro 7 (more or less) met my needs. I tried GIMP and its pretty rough.

Simply put, will Photoshop Elements do all I need? I need to occasionally freehand cut images, put them on different layers, often transparent, and save them as PNGs. I'd just like to be certain before I pony up $100 for it.
    For a cheaper alternative, look into Pixelmator. It's not as full featured as Photoshop, but it may suit your needs. It's Mac-native and very popular. And has a free trial.
    Pixelmator

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    Photoshop Elements does have a lasso tool, layer transparency, and png support.
    Here is a pretty decent list of what Elements has and doesn't have vs PS CS5.
    Adobe Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements - A Comparison
    And here is a list of stuff it does vs previous versions
    Adobe Photoshop Elements 9: Version comparison
    There is also a trial for elements to see if it does what you need
    https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...ents&loc=en_us

Specs:
    21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM
    Well I think I got the answer I wanted. Went to the Mac store tonight and the rep highly recommended Pixelmater, so I think I'll try that out. Thanks all!
    21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).

Thread Information