New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Adopt Photoshop Elements < or > Paint Shop Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

So we're coming from a PC background....Mac Noob. Obviously my old copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 will not run on the Mac, and I'm not entirely sure I want to try running it in Parallels.

I do a lot of graphic editing, "photoshopping" work if you will. I take images, strip the background, shade it, invert colors, mix-n-match, andflip the opacity, and generally play images as if they were 6-string banjos. Paint Shop Pro 7 (more or less) met my needs. I tried GIMP and its pretty rough.

Simply put, will Photoshop Elements do all I need? I need to occasionally freehand cut images, put them on different layers, often transparent, and save them as PNGs. I'd just like to be certain before I pony up $100 for it.

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phacade View Post
So we're coming from a PC background....Mac Noob. Obviously my old copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 will not run on the Mac, and I'm not entirely sure I want to try running it in Parallels.

I do a lot of graphic editing, "photoshopping" work if you will. I take images, strip the background, shade it, invert colors, mix-n-match, andflip the opacity, and generally play images as if they were 6-string banjos. Paint Shop Pro 7 (more or less) met my needs. I tried GIMP and its pretty rough.

Simply put, will Photoshop Elements do all I need? I need to occasionally freehand cut images, put them on different layers, often transparent, and save them as PNGs. I'd just like to be certain before I pony up $100 for it.
For a cheaper alternative, look into Pixelmator. It's not as full featured as Photoshop, but it may suit your needs. It's Mac-native and very popular. And has a free trial.
Pixelmator

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Photoshop Elements does have a lasso tool, layer transparency, and png support.
Here is a pretty decent list of what Elements has and doesn't have vs PS CS5.
Adobe Photoshop vs. Photoshop Elements - A Comparison
And here is a list of stuff it does vs previous versions
Adobe Photoshop Elements 9: Version comparison
There is also a trial for elements to see if it does what you need
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...ents&loc=en_us
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

Well I think I got the answer I wanted. Went to the Mac store tonight and the rep highly recommended Pixelmater, so I think I'll try that out. Thanks all!

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help please | Illustrator Colors »