New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Picassa Photo Album

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

altyson

altyson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G5 DP 1.8 160 Super Drive 17 " Display

Does anyone know of a mac program that is the same as Picassa? My wife use Picassa and I am trying to replace the Dell with a mini but she wants to have a Picassa look a like.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I would imagine that iPhoto would be a more than good replacement for Picassa. It also comes free with all new Macs.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb
I would imagine that iPhoto would be a more than good replacement for Picassa. It also comes free with all new Macs.
Exactly. If anything, Picassa looks like a really bad iPhoto clone. At least to my eyes anyway :black:.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
altyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Exactly. If anything, Picassa looks like a really bad iPhoto clone. At least to my eyes anyway :black:.
The benefit of Picassa is that it has a geat index system and with large thumnails on the left you can scroll very quickly. At present she has more than 100 picture folders. I use IPHOTO my self so I can see the difference.
I guess it is what someone is used to.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You could always look at the new Kodak EasyShare software v5.0 which is a free download that may be better for her if it's closer to what she's used to.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
timswim78

timswim78 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
Have you used Picasa enough to backup such a comment?

If not, you may want to read some reviews, and you may be pleasantly surprised with what Picasa can do:
http://www.hartnup.net/wordpress/picasa-2-vs-iphoto/
QUOTE Thanks
agraywall

agraywall is on a distinguished road

Picasa is the best, FREE, photo managing software available. It is a shame that a full version is not available for Mac computers. I photo is garbage compared to Picasa.

I used to be a devoted PC user and recently switched to Mac. Soon after I learned about how managing the 1000's of pictures on my hard drive was going to much more difficult then it was before.

Picasa does offer a free webmail version that allows Mac users to post pictures but it does not have any of the editing tools that makes Picasa so user friendly
QUOTE Thanks
Meatball

Meatball is on a distinguished road

I also am a Picasa fan. It is great especially for a free program. If you are willing to shell out a little cash I can recommend Adobe Lightroom. It is a really great program, and if you use Photoshop at all the integration is nice. At least that has been my experience so far using this product.
QUOTE Thanks
altyson

Does Lightroom show Folders like Picassa on left side of screen?
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by agraywall View Post
Picasa is the best, FREE, photo managing software available. It is a shame that a full version is not available for Mac computers. I photo is garbage compared to Picasa.

I used to be a devoted PC user and recently switched to Mac. Soon after I learned about how managing the 1000's of pictures on my hard drive was going to much more difficult then it was before.

Picasa does offer a free webmail version that allows Mac users to post pictures but it does not have any of the editing tools that makes Picasa so user friendly
If you are "managing" your pictures like you did in Windows, you are working much too hard, and not taking advantage of iPhoto's management. It could not be simpler to let iPhoto manage the library in finder, and you just manipulate within the app. iPhoto (in fact all of the mac experience) is so much simpler than the Windows way of micromanaging everything! Take a break -- give the mac way a chance! Your life will be much simpler for it!
QUOTE Thanks
Sennec

Sennec will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
If you are "managing" your pictures like you did in Windows, you are working much too hard, and not taking advantage of iPhoto's management. It could not be simpler to let iPhoto manage the library in finder, and you just manipulate within the app. iPhoto (in fact all of the mac experience) is so much simpler than the Windows way of micromanaging everything! Take a break -- give the mac way a chance! Your life will be much simpler for it!
Picasa also looks for all the pictures on your computer, so it doesn't matter how you manage your photos. I've not had any experience with iPhoto yet, but I can say that Picasa is a wonderful program.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« noob needs help with iphoto | Ever use keyboard shortcuts at the wrong time? »