Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    Question Illustrator not copying exactly!?
    Hey guys, bit of a problem that has been frustrating me for the past couple hours in AI. I just finished an image with many layers, and I am trying to copy it. I group the whole thing than I copy and paste it and the copy is close but many of the lines are different thicknesses. When I used the paintbrush/pencil I changed the thickness several times, and now when I copy the whole thing a bunch of the strokes/brushes are thinner or something. I would appreciate any assistance! BTW I have already tried selecting "Paste Remembers Layers" with no luck there. thanks

  2. #2

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Sometimes that happens, I just use the eyedropper and click on the older version while you have the newer one with problems selected. That should make it the same as the older version.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    thanks for the reply, but when I do that it just switches the "newer image with the problems" entire color to whatever color I clicked in the original with the eyedropper. Maybe I followed you instructions wrong or you are dealing with a different issue?

    Its like the brush thickness I originally used changed in random places.

    When I tell the image to "duplicate" it copies it exactly, but when I copy paste it, it doesn't work. I need to copy paste it to transfer it to another AI file/project. Here are pictures of the before and after of copy pasting, I zoomed in very close on a small piece of it so the changes are clear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
    thanks for the reply, but when I do that it just switches the "newer image with the problems" entire color to whatever color I clicked in the original with the eyedropper. Maybe I followed you instructions wrong or you are dealing with a different issue?

    Its like the brush thickness I originally used changed in random places.

    When I tell the image to "duplicate" it copies it exactly, but when I copy paste it, it doesn't work. I need to copy paste it to transfer it to another AI file/project. Here are pictures of the before and after of copy pasting, I zoomed in very close on a small piece of it so the changes are clear.
    How did you draw that vine? Do you mind if I take a look at the actual file? I suspect it has something to do with the way that the vine was drawn. It looks super chunky and oblong. >_<"
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    I woud truly appreciate it if you did take a look at the actual file! I should warn you though, its a complete mess, this is the very first time I have ever used illustrator. I made the image yesterday. Try copy and pasting it just in the same window, and you will see what i mean. BTW I think I used the paintbrush for most of it, changing the brush thickness throughout.

    EDIT: apparently I cant attach the ai file in a post. I'll pop it on mediafire for you, or you can send me your email in a PM.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    I just uploaded it to mediafire, here it is:

    http://www.mediafire.com/?osh3f2brwwf1og1

  7. #7

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Just looked at your file. You have tons and tons of stray points all over the file. I'm still not sure how you even drew the vine itself.

    I would recommend you use the pen tool to make your vine. That way your curves will look cleaner. After you finished drawing your line you will want to expand it. From there you can play around with the line thickness by moving points around or using the "Width Tool" if you are using CS5.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    I used the paintbrush tool, mostly with the 5 pt. oval brush, though I changed the brush diameter by double clicking on it. I tried the pen tool for the vines but I felt more free with the paintbrush so I used that.

    Any idea about the copy paste issue?

  9. #9

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
    I used the paintbrush tool, mostly with the 5 pt. oval brush, though I changed the brush diameter by double clicking on it. I tried the pen tool for the vines but I felt more free with the paintbrush so I used that.

    Any idea about the copy paste issue?
    I think it's because of the paintbrush that the lines are inconsistent.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    Is there another way to copy it exactly to another project? Maybe theres a way to solidify the entire image all into one layer path, so its just one solid un-editable image, except for scale. If I can do that than I can copy it over and use it like that. I really dont want to do it again as I am happy with how it looks now. So yeah, how can I turn it into one solid image?

    And my other option is just switching the resolution of project that its in so I dont have to transfer it to a new one. Is it possible to change the resolution after the project is already made?

    EDIT: by resolution i mean size. as in the size of the page like when you first create a document and select, 1600 x 900

    EDIT: I figured out the size change, now my last thing is fixing up some bits. How do you erase part of a path? When I click a paintbrush I made it selects the entire thing and only lets me delete the whole thing. I used the paintbrush with "white paint" to erase a lot of my work, because the eraser did work... it basically erased randomly around where i wanted it to erase, for example if I dragged it across some paintbrush work it work erase much more than it actually touched, often it wouldn't erase as much as it touched. Now I have switched my background color and you can see all the white marks from erasing I had done, I'm not sure how to get rid of it, other than putting a big layer in front of that layer. I wish there was a paintbucket tool.

  11. #11

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
    Is there another way to copy it exactly to another project? Maybe theres a way to solidify the entire image all into one layer path, so its just one solid un-editable image, except for scale. If I can do that than I can copy it over and use it like that. I really dont want to do it again as I am happy with how it looks now. So yeah, how can I turn it into one solid image?

    And my other option is just switching the resolution of project that its in so I dont have to transfer it to a new one. Is it possible to change the resolution after the project is already made?

    EDIT: by resolution i mean size. as in the size of the page like when you first create a document and select, 1600 x 900

    EDIT: I figured out the size change, now my last thing is fixing up some bits. How do you erase part of a path? When I click a paintbrush I made it selects the entire thing and only lets me delete the whole thing. I used the paintbrush with "white paint" to erase a lot of my work, because the eraser did work... it basically erased randomly around where i wanted it to erase, for example if I dragged it across some paintbrush work it work erase much more than it actually touched, often it wouldn't erase as much as it touched. Now I have switched my background color and you can see all the white marks from erasing I had done, I'm not sure how to get rid of it, other than putting a big layer in front of that layer. I wish there was a paintbucket tool.
    You can select the whole thing and group it together. If that doesn't work you can always do a file save as and make a copy of the existing file and do your changes on the new file.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    113
    Specs:
    27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
    Just a thought and maybe this is going in the wrong direction. With Illustrator you can choose, in preferences, for lines to scale with the drawing or stay at the defined width. I find that the default of staying at the defined width causes problems with resizing, e.g. making smaller makes the lines look very thick.

    When you copy and paste is the pasted version bigger, smaller or the same as the original. If its smaller it would make the lines look very odd.
    Andy C
    --------------
    27" iMac (2102), 11" MacBook Air (2011), iPad Air, iPad Mini, Apple TV2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPod Classic 120Gb, Ipod Touch, Watch.

  13. #13

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Uploaded a revised version of your file. I tried to mess around with the vine. You can do whatever you want with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2008
    Posts
    23
    thanks guys, how can I make all the layers into one, and make the background that checkered pattern, so I can reuse the logo on multiple backgrounds and printings? Can I do that in illustrator?

  15. #15

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon8822 View Post
    thanks guys, how can I make all the layers into one, and make the background that checkered pattern, so I can reuse the logo on multiple backgrounds and printings? Can I do that in illustrator?
    Select the stuff you want to be in one layer and Hit Command + G. That will mash them together.

    As for the transparent background you are going to have to do that in Photoshop.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Illustrator CS
    By Roy Salmon in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-20-2012, 12:48 PM
  2. Illustrator 8.0
    By pad-06 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM
  3. Illustrator help...
    By Step187hen in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2010, 08:01 AM
  4. Copying Folders to Dock Without Copying Files
    By TheTrueMoron in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 02:28 AM
  5. Copying cropped clips without copying the whole clip.
    By Zacariem in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •