New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Keeping private images...private?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Phacade

Phacade will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac, 12GB Crucial RAM

Forgive me if this seems like a dumb question. I have always liked to get a rudimentary understanding how something works even before I find myself in a position of using it.

Pointless example: The year was 1985 and I remember staying up for hours looking at and shaking a Transformers box in an attempt to figure how how it transformed before buying it. Whenever I did get it, it went from robot to gun instantly thanks to my snappy research!

(as I recall, Kmart wasn't very happy with me for shaking an unpurchased toy)

Moving forward...I don't have a Mac (yet), but I will soon. Can't wait for Uncle Sam to deposit my income tax check so I can join the family. But in the meantime, I had a lingering query. Probably silly, but here goes. I have a tattoo interest. As such I keep a lot (maybe 500) of photos of various work done in mutiple categories and albums of work done and ideas of work to-be-done.

A good 60% of these phones are not kid friendly.

Currently I use a program by Jasc called "Media Center Plus" to organize my photos on my PC. Clearly this will not load or work on the Mac, which isn't really a concern anyway since iPhoto will (likely) do a great job of managing them.

However...

I understand that iPhoto is more or less an open book. I'm not very keen on letting my kids (5 & 7 years old) use my Mac if they have access to albums which aren't kid-friendly. I'm not sure if password-protecting some albums is possible (or a workable solution) in iPhoto, and a removable drive may not be the best of solutions since the thumbnail will likely remain in iPhoto even after its unplugged.

I therefore wonder if a seperate user account is the best solution. Like the PC, I'd likely store these photos in a seperate file on the hard drive, but would they be truely hidden? Lets say a pretty clever 7-year old got on my Mac in the main account, got in iPhoto (which I'd used a few minutes earlier but on the seperate user I'm calling "Tattoo". The plane! The plane! Whoops, sorry about that. Professional not-so-inside joke. Anway would she still be able to access my photos since they're saved on the same hard drive but in a different folder, or can I restrict that folder specifically to the "Tattoo" user account on my Mac?

Thoughts? Ideas?

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phacade View Post
Forgive me if this seems like a dumb question. I have always liked to get a rudimentary understanding how something works even before I find myself in a position of using it.

Pointless example: The year was 1985 and I remember staying up for hours looking at and shaking a Transformers box in an attempt to figure how how it transformed before buying it. Whenever I did get it, it went from robot to gun instantly thanks to my snappy research!

(s I recall, Kmart wasn't very happy with me for shaking an unpurchased toy)

Moving forward...I don't have a Mac (yet), but I will soon. Can't wait for Uncle Sam to deposit my income tax check so I can join the family. But in the meantime, I had a lingering query. Probably silly, but here goes. I have a tattoo interest. As such I keep a lot (maybe 500) of photos of various work done in mutiple categories and albums of work done and ideas of work to-be-done.

A good 60% of these phones are not kid friendly.

Currently I use a program by Jasc called "Media Center Plus" to organize my photos on my PC. Clearly this will not load or work on the Mac, which isn't really a concern anyway since iPhoto will (likely) do a great job of managing them.

However...

I understand that iPhoto is more or less an open book. I'm not very keen on letting my kids (5 & 7 years old) use my Mac if they have access to albums which aren't kid-friendly. I'm not sure if password-protecting some albums is possible (or a workable solution) in iPhoto, and a removable drive may not be the best of solutions since the thumbnail will likely remain in iPhoto even after its unplugged.

I therefore wonder if a seperate user account is the best solution. Like the PC, I'd likely store these photos in a seperate file on the hard drive, but would they be truely hidden? Lets say a pretty clever 7-year old got on my Mac in the main account, got in iPhoto (which I'd used a few minutes earlier but on the seperate user I'm calling "Tattoo". The plane! The plane! Whoops, sorry about that. Professional not-so-inside joke. Anway would she still be able to access my photos since they're saved on the same hard drive but in a different folder, or can I restrict that folder specifically to the "Tattoo" user account on my Mac?

Thoughts? Ideas?
Your best options I believe are:
1) Use Filevault with a seperate user account. Everything in the account is encrypted as as single sparse image. The disadvantage is individual files are not backed up as in Time Machine. So backing it up means backing up the entire sparse image each time, rather than changed files.
2) In my opinion (as I mentioned in a previous post) your best option is to pick up Aperture from the APP store ($79) and put your Tattoo pictures in a seperate Aperture library in its own encrypted disk image. This does not have to be on an external drive. The library will be innaccessible and for all practical intents invisible until you open the disk image by double-clicking on it and entering your password.
Are there other options. Probably, but these both work, have their own shortcomings, and are relatively easy to set up and manage.

If you need any more specifics on how to do either or both of these post back or PM once you get your Mac. I would also reccomend 'Snow Leopard, The Missing Manual' as it details exactly how to do both of these.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Good suggestion. This was meant to expand the issue a bit more. I have a tendency of talking through issues, particularly when there isn't anything I can do to figure it out myself. I'm sure that, Mac-in-hand, I'll figure a lot of these things out on my own...however there are a lot of smart cookies online here. A little extra exposure never hurts.

21" 3.6GHz Core i5 iMac "Sputnik" ■ 12GB Crucial RAM ■ Monsoon flat-panel speakers ■ HP P1006 LaserJet printer ■ Full Keyboard ■ Canoscan 9000F flatbed scanner ■ ...and then of course me (being a narcissist, I consider this to be the most important mod).
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Good suggestion. This was meant to expand the issue a bit more. I have a tendency of talking through issues, particularly when there isn't anything I can do to figure it out myself. I'm sure that, Mac-in-hand, I'll figure a lot of these things out on my own...however there are a lot of smart cookies online here. A little extra exposure never hurts.
No problem. The bottomline is you either encrypt your files or segregate them (or both) if you want to limit access. How you do that is really up to you. There is another option, using iPhoto, of setting up a seperate Library and using iPhoto Library Manager (a free APP) to switch to it, but I am not certain that would totally prevent leakage. But, since it is free it might be worth playing with.

Again, I would highly reccomend picking up David Pogue's 'Missing Manual' book. It is a good read and covers this and related topics fairly well.

It is available in electronic as well as hard copy from Amazon. I had the hard copy of the Leopard version and just picked up the Kindle format of the Snow Leopard update.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Your best options I believe are:
1) Use Filevault with a seperate user account.
STOP !!!!!
I wouldnt use FV. As much as i agree with the rest of Razor's post DONT USE THIS !!!

Filevault is not what it seems. If you use this you will have problems later. There are untold thread in here with people having trouble with FileVault. Have a read of Peoples Take on FileVault and then tell me you want to use it.
If you have SHHHHH Secret Squirrel stuff to hide then this could be for you, if not STAY AWAY from FileVault.
Needed to post this now ill look for another soulution.

You really DONT want to use FV. Apple havnt told you the whole story. BIG chance of having a corrupt file/folder and if you have only 1 then you wont be able to access it either
Sorry for this sort of post but i need to warn people off it

Cheers Ill be back

EDIT : For all those things you want to hide there is HideFolders. This works very well but it has a 30day trial. I bought the App a long time ago after my problems with FileVault. These are the Aussie prices

Hide Folders Pro
A convenient way to hide personal files and folders.

[ AUD: $27.00 ] Single Computer License
[ AUD: $32.00 ] Family License (up to 5 computers)
[ AUD: $106.00 ] Company License (up to 12 computers)

For piece of mind its not a bad price . . .

HTH

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Score. That iPhoto Library Manager might be a good trial, I'll definitely try it. Worst case it doesn't work, but I can experiment with it.

Has anyone else tried the seperate user account scenario?

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
STOP !!!!!
I wouldnt use FV. As much as i agree with the rest of Razor's post DONT USE THIS !!!

Filevault is not what it seems. If you use this you will have problems later. There are untold thread in here with people having trouble with FileVault. Have a read of Peoples Take on FileVault and then tell me you want to use it.
If you have SHHHHH Secret Squirrel stuff to hide then this could be for you, if not STAY AWAY from FileVault.
Needed to post this now ill look for another soulution.

You really DONT want to use FV. Apple havnt told you the whole story. BIG chance of having a corrupt file/folder and if you have only 1 then you wont be able to access it either
Sorry for this sort of post but i need to warn people off it

Cheers Ill be back
Tatooed,
Thanks for the info. For the record Filevault wasn't my first reccomendation because it is a space hog, but I never encountered any problems with using it or lost any data because of it. I can see after reading your post that that is certainly a potential.

I still think the best option is an encrypted disk image.
1) It is almost as secure as Filevault
2) If takes up far less space and can be included in Timemachine backups
3) It doesn't require a seperate user account

There are also third party applications, such as Knox, produced by the same people who gave us 1Password. Don't know if I would go that route simply to keep tattoo pictures away from the little ones.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:

Has anyone else tried the seperate user account scenario?
Read my above post if thinking of FileVault

Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Tatooed,
Thanks for the info. For the record Filevault wasn't my first reccomendation because it is a space hog, but I never encountered any problems with using it or lost any data because of it. I can see after reading your post that that is certainly a potential.
My pleasure mate. It really is a dog of a thing and as i said there are too many threads in here with people having problems with it . .

Quote:
I still think the best option is an encrypted disk image.
1) It is almost as secure as Filevault
2) If takes up fare less space and can be included in Timemachine backups
3) It doesn't require a seperate user account

There are also third party applications, such as Knox, produced by the same people who gave us 1Password. Don't know if I would go that route simply to keep tattoo pictures away from the little ones.
Yea i agree. encypted Disk Image could be the way for the OP. Simple to do as well.
@OP read of this  kb article How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image in Mac OS X 10.3 or later and you should be on your way

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Is a separate user account for the kids (either to share or individual accounts for each) an option for you?
Easy to set up and as the administrator, you can set all kinds of parental limitations, etc.

Unless you don't like logging in and out of your/their account each time. (you can set a password on your account and not tell them for additional "privacy")

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
Is a separate user account for the kids (either to share or individual accounts for each) an option for you?
Easy to set up and as the administrator, you can set all kinds of parental limitations, etc.

Unless you don't like logging in and out of your/their account each time. (you can set a password on your account and not tell them for additional "privacy")
Plus one for this solution as this is exactly what I was thinking.
Unless there is a reason that we do not know about it appears to me to be the simplest and most effective solution that will not effect your Time Machine backup.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Seperate user accounts can work. The two disadvantages are:
1) Lose the ability to share iPhoto Library. If you don't share then you have to continuously maintain and update seperate photo libraries. This may not be an issue depending on your own needs however
2) You have to exercise discipline and log out each and every time you leave your Mac. Again, this can be workable. But if you are truly set on privacy for information, you probably need to go a little further.

QUOTE Thanks
Phacade

Out of all the options, I think the Seperate user accounts will (probably) work the best. Naturally I'll have to wait until I've got the machine and then see if it works for me. Extra step, sure, but I don't mind logging in and out of that account if it keeps the kiddos out of my tattoo pages, and the bonus would be the ability to have a background I wouldn't normally keep up around the kids either. Win.

Yeah you know us tattoo guys are rather eccentric...

QUOTE Thanks
RezDuane

RezDuane is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP

DON'T use FileVault! It's a hog!!!
Take a look at this Encrypt files for safety | Utilities | Macworld
It's a way to encrypt a folder so that only the things you put in it are encrypted. It works great!
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Seperate user accounts can work. The two disadvantages are:
1) Lose the ability to share iPhoto Library. If you don't share then you have to continuously maintain and update seperate photo libraries. This may not be an issue depending on your own needs however
2) You have to exercise discipline and log out each and every time you leave your Mac. Again, this can be workable. But if you are truly set on privacy for information, you probably need to go a little further.

For point 1: could he not create a separate iPhoto library and share only THAT library for the second (or third) user account ? I think that's possible.

For point 2: There's an option to lock the Mac after x amount of time (could be instantly and you can also use a shortcut key to trigger the lock). But now what I'm wondering (since I don't use this lock feature) is whether or not you're able to log into a different account from that lock screen ?

That would solve everything.

Edit: Additionally, if you look at my screen shot: If option doesn't exist to simply change the user name and password after waking from sleep, then perhaps it will work if you set the option to have it log out as it goes to sleep as well.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-02-21 at 1.48.37 PM.jpg (64.8 KB, 17 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Clip art for Mac Mail | Photo Booth mirror images? »