New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Moving Aperture 3 library to external hd

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Winchester92367

Winchester92367 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Proud Owner of a new MacBook Pro 13 inch!

I recently purchased A3 from the app store. Just made the step up from a point and shoot to a Dslr ( Nikon D3100, love it!). Anyway..my photo collection is growing quite a bit and am looking to store my photos on an external hd and not on my mbp hard drive. The a3 on line user guide is a little confusing.

Basically want to store the photos on external hd then import for editing and the export them back..just so they are not taking up so much space on my mbp. Any help would be appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Since you are moving important data, make absolutely sure that you have a good backup before attempting this.

#1 Make sure that the external drive is formatted Mac OS Extended. (By clicking on the drives icon in the finder and doing command+i)
#2 Locate the "Aperture Library: in Users>YOURUSER>Pictures
#3 *COPY* it to the external drive. Make sure Aperture is quitted durning this.
#4 Once it has finished copying it over, double click the Library on the external HD. Aperture will open and now see that it's library has been relocated.
#5 If you see that everything works like it should you can delete the Aperture Library on the MBP in Users>YOURUSER>Pictures

Because of the transfer rates of the cable, you may see slower performance when using Aperture.
Note though that now you cannot see/edit your pictures unless you have the external HD plugged in.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

If I were you Winchester, I'd keep the Aperture Library file on your Mac's HD and simply keep your NEF reference files on a main external, as well as a redundant backup external HD. Aperture is already a bit of a resource hog, without having to access its library from an external HD, which as McYukon stated, will slow things down.

BTW, you might stop over at the nikoncafe(.com) since you're a new DSLR owner. Good bunch of people there and a lot to learn as well as view. You can't see all the forums unless you register though.. but it's a free forum so no biggie.

Good luck with Aperture and your new Nikon. I'm a D300 shooter myself.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
If I were you Winchester, I'd keep the Aperture Library file on your Mac's HD and simply keep your NEF reference files on a main external, as well as a redundant backup external HD. Aperture is already a bit of a resource hog, without having to access its library from an external HD, which as McYukon stated, will slow things down.

BTW, you might stop over at the nikoncafe(.com) since you're a new DSLR owner. Good bunch of people there and a lot to learn as well as view. You can't see all the forums unless you register though.. but it's a free forum so no biggie.

Good luck with Aperture and your new Nikon. I'm a D300 shooter myself.

Doug
I am trying to do something similar, moving my Aperture Library to my NAS and CWA107 gave something to try to make that work (haven't tried it yet) but reading this I think I may be better off just moving the reference files.

How specifically do I do that. I tried relocate masters and that gave some reference files to reference to. So it seems like a good step.

If this is what you are advising:
1) What is it actually doing when you make this selection?
2) How do you (or can you) make this the default?'
3) Does this prevent you from working with files when your external HD isn't connected?
Thanks,
Mike

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Winchester92367

Winchester92367 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Proud Owner of a new MacBook Pro 13 inch!

Thanks guys! Appreciate the input!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creative Block | iPhoto thumbnails go black when clicked »