New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iphoto. How to make changes permanent?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emperor_black

emperor_black is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched briefly but the word 'Permanent' brings up a million threads.

I like the changes I made to the pics. How can I commit those changes permanently? When I copy the pics, they are the same ones i loaded in iphoto.

thanks!
Sam
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

What sort of changes do you mean?
When you edit and crop, or add enhancements in iPhoto, once you click the done button that's it, it saves what you have done, which is why I work on duplicates.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

iPhoto uses nondestructive editing which preserves the original version and applies changes to a copy. Unless you delete the original version you can select "Revert To Original" from the Photos menu item to, as the name implies, revert to the original copy.

You can capture the edited version by selecting Export from the File menu. Export will export the edited version and not the original version of the photo.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
emperor_black

emperor_black is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by immdb View Post
iPhoto uses nondestructive editing which preserves the original version and applies changes to a copy. Unless you delete the original version you can select "Revert To Original" from the Photos menu item to, as the name implies, revert to the original copy.

You can capture the edited version by selecting Export from the File menu. Export will export the edited version and not the original version of the photo.
Yeah, I figured out how the 'export' works. so, that is the only way to do it then. I guess that should be allright. Thanks for the reply!
QUOTE Thanks
AndyClift

AndyClift is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4

Just select the photo you want to keep and drag it from iPhoto to the desktop. If you have made an changes to the original in iPhoto you will now have the original as shot and a version with any changes in iPhoto plus a copy of the changed version on the desktop (which you can then play with in Photoshop etc. without damaging anything in iPhoto)..

You could also go to your Pictures folder, select the iPhoto library, right click and select show package contents. You will then find all your pictures in folders names Masters, Modified and Previews (just to prove that iPhoto does not destroy the originals.

Andy C
--------------
27" iMac (2102), 13" MacBook Pro (2010), 11" MacBook Air (2011), 64 Gb iPad, iPd Mini, Apple TV2, iPhone 5, iPod Classic 120Gb
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

WARNING: Do ***NOT*** mess around or make changes to the iPhoto Library package!! You WILL lose photos and generally mess yourself up if you do.

First of all, if I may be blunt, it is DUMB to want to remove the original under ANY circumstances. That original photo is taking up almost NO appreciable space on your hard drive. Leave it alone.

Once you've modified a photo in iPhoto, that is the one that will be exported or dragged out to the desktop, which are the two CORRECT ways to make a copy of a photo in iPhoto, so this really should be a non-issue to anyone using iPhoto properly. The modified photo will ALWAYS be the one copied/exported or available to other programs UNLESS you "revert to original."
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating Apple Mail Stationery Banner | iPhoto Usage Tips, Tricks, suggestions?? »