New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Aperture 3 at the App store!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Winchester92367

Winchester92367 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Proud Owner of a new MacBook Pro 13 inch!

Just getting into digital photography as a hobby and have been looking to pick up a copy of Aperture which in boxed version goes for $199

Just found the downloadable copy at App Store and purchased for $79.99!

Great deal! Thanks Apple!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Mamajag

Mamajag is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd

I am wondering if this is permanent or a promo price. VueScan might have to wait if it's a promo...

Kim
I may have moved to Mac to retire as my family's PC techie...
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Not an Aperture user, but that is just an awesome deal IMO. If they ever get the bugs out, (ie; resource hogging, beach ball inducing app) I'll buy it.

Doug

Edit: And I would think that the prices are permanent, because there's less overhead due to lack of packaging and distribution. Self containment= very smart business move.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Might have to spring for that. Haven't upgraded Aperture 2 yet because I've been debating going with Lightroom so I could use either Win 7 or OS X.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
m_ove

m_ove is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,

I just got Lightroom for christmas and now I am contemplating whether I should buy Aperture as well or just stick with Lightroom, what do ya'll think?

Read my blog. The Mac URL The only URL you will need to remember
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_ove View Post
I just got Lightroom for christmas and now I am contemplating whether I should buy Aperture as well or just stick with Lightroom, what do ya'll think?
Not sure anyone but you can answer that question. I love LR and wouldn't give it up for anything, but I can tell you that they both have their proponents, and for nothing else more than personal reasons. Well, maybe a little more. I liked Aperture, but it was a resource hog for me, and got nothing but beach balls when I was using the brushes. Both on my late 2008 and 2010 MacBook Pro's.

Otherwise, I much prefer the GUI in Lightroom, and LR 3's noise removal can not be matched right now. On the Aperture side, it's brushes kick butt when you can actually use them (see: beach balls).

If you have a hole burning your pocket... go for it. Can't hurt to know both systems. But I suggest that if you're serious about photography, to not waste too much time playing with both. Get to know a system and use which ever you're more comfortable with, or which ever one allows you to achieve your goals not only faster, but with the direction YOU want to go with in a more efficient manner. If you're just a tinkerer... then what the heck. Get it and enjoy.

Dou
QUOTE Thanks
m_ove

m_ove is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,

Thanks for the quick reply... I think I might stick with Lightroom for now, and then try the trial of Aperture 3 before making a decision.

Read my blog. The Mac URL The only URL you will need to remember
QUOTE Thanks
Mamajag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
I liked Aperture, but it was a resource hog for me, and got nothing but beach balls when I was using the brushes. Both on my late 2008 and 2010 MacBook Pro's.
Thanks for posting this. I am definitely going to play with the trial quite a bit before deciding anything. Admittedly, beach balls are cuter than hourglasses, but still...

Kim
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Just want to say that the info I gave could be old news. A photography forum I frequent, had a post from this past October (and I had installed Aperture 3 well before then) stating this from a user of AP3:

Quote:
Just downloaded it and will give it a spin. I have to say that I love Aperture 3 - after they fixed the graphics and performance problems. It's been working great for the past several months. And I'm running it on an '06 iMac.
I don't really have much of a reason to use AP3 since the LR workflow is good for me, but I might try it again out of curiosity. Probably the only technical thing I'd give to LR over AP3 at this point then (if the issues have truly been worked out) is the noise reduction capabilities. I have an Nikon D300 and though it's not the worst in terms of noise, it's not the best, either. So I really value and cherish LR3's noise reduction. Both in terms of luminance and color. It's truly spectacular.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Mamajag

Thanks. I think I'm going to play with the trial just to make sure. I don't need something super high end, but I do need better than iPhoto.

Kim
QUOTE Thanks
MissMurder

MissMurder will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: mid'09 MBP; 2.53GHz; 8GB RAM; OS X 10.8.2 | 2G iPod Touch 32GB | iPhone 5 iOS 7.1 16GB | iPad Air

I love Aperture. Paid about 270USD for it (through the Brazilian Apple Store back in June) and it was worth every penny. But I don't think people should get it just because it's cheap. If anyone's working fine with iPhoto or Lightroom, there's really no reason, IMO.

flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Mamajag

Update: Downloaded the trial last night, and there are beach balls but only where I would expect them (importing and other large tasks), so I think they have gotten the problems ironed out. I went ahead and bought VueScan and am pretty much hoping that's the new price for Aperture so I can get it in a paycheck or two.

Kim
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamajag View Post
Update: Downloaded the trial last night, and there are beach balls but only where I would expect them (importing and other large tasks), so I think they have gotten the problems ironed out. I went ahead and bought VueScan and am pretty much hoping that's the new price for Aperture so I can get it in a paycheck or two.
Have you tried using various brushes to selectively edit portions of an image? Put that sucker through the paces! I'm curious to know how it goes.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Lycoming

Lycoming will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook

I encountered problems getting Aperture to talk to my printers. Both worked perfectly with LR. I now use iPhoto for storage and selection, then transfer to LR for my adjustments and printing.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming View Post
I encountered problems getting Aperture to talk to my printers. Both worked perfectly with LR. I now use iPhoto for storage and selection, then transfer to LR for my adjustments and printing.
I have to ask.. Why on earth would you use iPhoto for those tasks, when Lightroom is meant to do those things ? A huge point and strength of LR is in its organizational capabilities as a DAM. Keywording and tagging are easily accomplished, and you can not only find things by sorting through the multitude of options in its database, but it also allows you to keep your file structure true to how you like it, in a file tree.

I can't really see the benefit of using iPhoto when you're using either Aperture or LR, really. Either of the former exports to multiple online storage facilities, social networking sites etc... They both allow access to cool printing and publishing templates (far better than iPhoto's)

All I can see you doing is adding an useless and time consuming step in your workflow. Not to mention that iPhoto multiplies the amount of files needed in order to fulfill each of the sizes available for iPhoto publishing. More wasted disk space.

So what's the deal?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bootcamp or Parallel for Graphic design? | How to download pics from a flashdrive to my macbook »