New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Burning photos to CD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

boubou29

boubou29 is on a distinguished road

First, sorry for my english, I'm French.....

I want to free up some space on my hard disk and save all the pictures I have in I photo on a CD. I also want to be able to read them on a windows-based computer or send them to a lab.

Here is my problem, when I do it through File --> Export, it automatically duplicates them on my hard disk which, then, runs low on space. So I'm stuck and can't do anything. Great.

I tried creating a Burn Folder, the same thing happened and I couldn't even drag one pic into it. I'm so frustrated with I photo right now , could someone please tell me what to do to fix this? Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

The way I do it, and others have different methods of course, is to use a program called Burn, which is free, or Toast if you have it, and simply insert a blank CD, drag my individual folders from the iPhoto window into Burn (data disc mode) and burn them that way.
They should be readable on a Windows machine too.

Have a look at this thread to give you an idea of what I mean, but instead of dragging to a HD drag to disc in Burn/Toast.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...up-iphoto.html

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
frankmezz

frankmezz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21 inch

i would consider an external drive for all your photos or maybe just the older ones. you can create a second library on the new external drive by holding down the option key when you boot iPhoto. The external CD's would be a good backup for you also. i got in the habit of making a CD from the SD card before i imported into iPhoto. Then i got an external drive (several in fact) and use time machine. i also added Carbonite to backup off line.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I agree with using an external HD for storage, but honestly if your HD is so full that you can't burn CDs you really need to consider a new HD, if for no other reason than Leopard and Snow Leopard both require adequate free disk space to run properly, and from your post it sounds like you don't have it.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Another simple, free option for making sure that photos from iPhoto are burned onto a CD or DVD in such a way that PCs and everyone else can deal with them:

iPhoto To Disk
QUOTE Thanks
CreativeGuy

CreativeGuy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4

Unfortunatley, Apple's built-in CD burning app creates copies of the files and burns the copies. As mentioned, Toast or Burn (and a few other apps) will burn form the original source file and don't require the added HD space to make a copy first.

And as Razor mentioned, you really should consider adding a larger HD. If you can't get an extra 650-700MB of space available, you're flirting with disaster.

The Graphic Mac - Tips, tricks, tutorials and commentary on all things Mac and graphics software.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Boubou - you really need to make some space on your hard drive. Surely there must be temporary files, log files or such that you can get rid of? One way if there really is nothing that you can lose is to burn a few small files first, then delete them from the HD before burning a few more. In this way you'll gradually free up enough space to burn (and then delete) a full CD/DVD's worth.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My photo .. iPad style ..! | iLite 09 »