New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Copyright or Trademark?? For a Graphic logo I designed for my Company....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

so a search on google just makes things more "Gray" and obscure so i thought id ask u guys

ive created a graphic logo.... would a trademark or a copyright be best for this?

i read that if you have a company slogan or a unique company name you should trademark it ...but how about a graphic design logo?

why would someone pick a copyright over a trademark it seems like a trademark is more comprehensive? someone correct me if im wrong please
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
so a search on google just makes things more "Gray" and obscure so i thought id ask u guys

ive created a graphic logo.... would a trademark or a copyright be best for this?

i read that if you have a company slogan or a unique company name you should trademark it ...but how about a graphic design logo?

why would someone pick a copyright over a trademark it seems like a trademark is more comprehensive? someone correct me if im wrong please
Doesn't Copyright mean you own the content as well as the design and trademark just mean you own the image as its your brand or a brand you designed the image for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark
QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Generally speaking, you'd trademark a graphic mark in order to protect your [client's?] identity.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

A logo would generally come under copyright law

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

okay so one person saying trademark it
another saying copyright it

and another saying

"Doesn't Copyright mean you own the content as well as the design and trademark just mean you own the image as its your brand or a brand you designed the image for"

whichi s basically the same thing????

now im even more confused.

any1 else? lol
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It definitely falls under copyright as it is a creative work. Now, if you created it for a client who specifically requested to keep all rights to the logo (i.e. work-for-hire), in that case your client owns the copyright and not you.

Copyright protection gives you a whole slew of protections. Plus, it lasts the entire life of the copyright owner, plus an additional 70 years. Benefit of copyright is that it's ridiculously simple to obtain one.

A trademark is a symbol used by a person in commerce to indicate the source of the goods/service. Your graphic logo could also fall under trademark if it identifies a company that sells a good or service. Some examples of companies that have trademarked logos: Apple (both the name and the bitten apple), Coca-Cola, Nike (both the name and the swoosh), and eBay.

However, unlike copyright, you have to register a trademark. There are a variety of steps involved and the application costs money. Then on top of that, you have to enforce your trademark, otherwise you run the risk of losing your trademark.

Oh and I should mention, I'm a third year law student specializing in Intellectual Property

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You could have easily discovered the difference between "copyrighting" something and "trademarking" something simply by looking up what those words actually mean in either a dictionary or the online equivalent thereof. Or Wikipedia for that matter.

Yes they could have. They tried and failed.
Quote:

That is why they posted the question here.
Isnt this the main reason as to why we have forums ?? To ask those questions that *once GOOGLED* and still dont have the answer you want ....... Yadda Yadda Yadda ??

I think so anyways ....
Oh sh1t hang on, i might google that and get a answer than ask you guys ....

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
okay so one person saying trademark it
another saying copyright it

and another saying

"Doesn't Copyright mean you own the content as well as the design and trademark just mean you own the image as its your brand or a brand you designed the image for"

whichi s basically the same thing????

now im even more confused.

any1 else? lol
Ok here's the best advice you're going to get...

If this is for a business and you're serious about protecting it, consult an intellectual property attorney.

The rules vary by jurisdiction and the best option may depend on what the logo is as well as how it's used and what industry you're in. They can also keep you out of trouble trying to register something that can't be protected.

In the end, relying on an answer someone gives you here in this forum for something like trademarking or copywriting your IP isn't really smart.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Ok here's the best advice you're going to get...

If this is for a business and you're serious about protecting it, consult an intellectual property attorney.

The rules vary by jurisdiction and the best option may depend on what the logo is as well as how it's used and what industry you're in. They can also keep you out of trouble trying to register something that can't be protected.

In the end, relying on an answer someone gives you here in this forum for something like trademarking or copywriting your IP isn't really smart.

I am 18 years old. i am a broke student.

i can't really afford an intellectual property lawyer so i have to make an educated decision based on info i find online.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
You know what's interesting? That words have specific meanings.

You could have easily discovered the difference between "copyrighting" something and "trademarking" something simply by looking up what those words actually mean in either a dictionary or the online equivalent thereof. Or Wikipedia for that matter.

Indeed, I typed in "what's the difference between copyright and trademark" into Google and look what happened:
What Is the Difference Between a Copyright, Trademark, and Patent?

Whaddya know. First hit. Followed by 30 more just like it.

These are the days of miracle and wonder.

thanks for your very sarcastic and facetious "help".

your article is pretty much the same as every other article ive read online...

it's completely overlapping and vague.

they say with a copyright u can write an article and copyright your writing, but it wont prevent someone from writing about the same subject.

Okay?

so contrarily if you were to trademark your article does that mean nobody else can write about the same subject?

it also says if you register a trademark for a logo/name for a certain product it cannot prevent other companies from making that same product under a different name.....

Okay?

so contrarily if you were to copyright your logo/name does that meananother company can make the same product under a different name but with the same logo?

I feel like these articles are written to generate ad dollars for the hosting site by people who search for "copyright vs trademark" and are not actually deisgned to help people.... the articles are not really clear & still leaves many many many gray areas..

thats why i posted on the forum.

if everyone used google instead of posting on the forums there would be no forum have you ever thought about that?

okay.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
It definitely falls under copyright as it is a creative work. Now, if you created it for a client who specifically requested to keep all rights to the logo (i.e. work-for-hire), in that case your client owns the copyright and not you.

Copyright protection gives you a whole slew of protections. Plus, it lasts the entire life of the copyright owner, plus an additional 70 years. Benefit of copyright is that it's ridiculously simple to obtain one.

A trademark is a symbol used by a person in commerce to indicate the source of the goods/service. Your graphic logo could also fall under trademark if it identifies a company that sells a good or service. Some examples of companies that have trademarked logos: Apple (both the name and the bitten apple), Coca-Cola, Nike (both the name and the swoosh), and eBay.

However, unlike copyright, you have to register a trademark. There are a variety of steps involved and the application costs money. Then on top of that, you have to enforce your trademark, otherwise you run the risk of losing your trademark.

Oh and I should mention, I'm a third year law student specializing in Intellectual Property

Thank you very very much for your insightful post!

Since ur a law student maybe you will know the answer to this...

1.) you say "A trademark is a symbol used by a person in commerce to indicate the source of the goods/service" ....doesnt a copyright fall under this definition as well? if i copyright my logo doesn't this indicate that this logo is mine and won't a copyright prevent other companies or people from replicating my logo or anything that even bears resemblance to my logo to sell their products?

2.) are you saying that copyright cannot be used in commerce? in short is trademark for = a big company and copyright= a small company???

Im still very confused if you can clear this up for me because it still seems to me that there is alot of overlap
QUOTE Thanks
jgusto31

jgusto31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

i can't really afford an intellectual property lawyer so i have to make an educated decision based on info i find online.
Ok, in this case copyright is the answer. Trademark are something more related to big brand names
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:

Well unfortunately, that's the only way you know you've done it right. Everywhere you live the rules are different, every business type is different, every piece of IP is different.

If you're only 18 and don't have enough for a lawyer, I'm going to go out on a limb and say whatever it is you're trying to do is probably not worth the time or trouble at this point to go through the hassle.

If your idea is so wonderful that it is worth it, find someone to invest money for you to see a lawyer.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Whaddya know. First hit. Followed by 30 more just like it.

These are the days of miracle and wonder.
Quit being like that ok. It's just not needed. If you want to help, sure help the person. If not then don't. But don't help and add in some snide remarks like this. From my point of view it's just rude and uncalled for.
QUOTE Thanks
MacNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Quit being like that ok. It's just not needed. If you want to help, sure help the person. If not then don't. But don't help and add in some snide remarks like this. From my point of view it's just rude and uncalled for.

thank u for that.!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Installing Gimp plugins | Photoshop styled program for OS 9 »