Thread: iLife 11

iLife 11
    I am a Mac user and am a big fan of iLife. When I noticed the latest and greatest upgrade iLife 11 I was ready buy, however I have noticed several negative comments about iPhoto. Has anyone else had trouble?

Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    I updated as soon as it was up for update on the website. I haven't had any problems so far.

It would be nice to be a little bit more specific about what problems you are talking about.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    My only concern with upgrading right now is that iPhoto Library Manager doesn't seem to work with it yet. I have a really large photo collection and I had to split it up into multiple libraries, so I need to wait until Library Manager is updated.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    I love the new iPhoto. There are some quirks and bugs, but nothing too and and I'm sure most will be addressed quickly.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    iPhoto as shipped with iLife 11 had some bugs, one serious one that MIGHT affect some users (didn't affect everyone) that could cause a loss of photos, so I'd suggest the following.

1. As is a good idea before doing ANY major update, backup your stuff.
    2. As of today, Apple updated iPhoto to 9.1 (they had a 9.0.1 update to fix the bug I referred to above out a couple of days ago). So when you do install iLife '11, run software update BEFORE you open the program(s) for the first time.

That should do the trick. Enjoy!

Specs:
    4.1 Mac Pro. 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. PM G5. iPhone 6S+ 64gb Gold. Apple Watch 42mm.
    I had trouble with iphoto, when I *first* installed it, but now everything is perfectly fine. It's as if the computer had a learning curve with it! I also didn't lose any of my photos, face names, or locations.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

Thank
    Thanks so much for the replies. I was concerned about the negative comments on the Apple web site of people who bought iLife 11. The biggest concern I had was loosing my 19,000 + photo's. I do back up and will right before the upgrade

I've had no problem what so ever. However, I keep a master folder of all images seperate from iPhoto.
    27' iMac i5 2.7 10.7.1  1TB HD  16GB DDR3 - AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB - Magic Trackpad * White iPhone 4s 16GB  iPad 2 64GB  iPod Nano 1st Generation  iPod Nano 6th Generation  iPod Touch 1st Generation  MacBook Unibody 1st Generation 

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    My one complaint about the new iPhoto so far is that when I choose to edit a photo in an external editor (say Photoshop), iPhoto now makes a duplicate of the photo FIRST whereas before it didn't make one at all (which I preferred).

I understand Apple's rationale here -- extra safety -- but would still like to defeat it.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    The only thing I've found is that the Flickr and Facebook syncing seems a little flaky, although I haven't done much since I updated to 9.1 so maybe that fixed it.

Other than that, I like it enough that I've switched back to iPhoto from Aperture. Aperture is a great program, but a little overkill for my needs. iPhoto '11 and Pixelmator doe the job just fine for me.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

iLife11
    I had no problems with iLife. As this thread suggested, I did the software update before opening iPhoto.

Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.4.1
    It works fine here. My only complaint is that previously, when in an event and looking at a single photo, I could click on the photo and be taken back to the tile view of all photos in the event. The new version either doesn't do this, or I haven't found whatever preference needs to be selected to enable this behavior. Currently, I have to click on the "arrow" in the upper left that has the event's name to be taken back to the tile view.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    iPhoto 11 is fairly slow for me - which is not necessarily a new complaint, but still...

Specs:
    Aptmunich: Yes, I've notice this too in certain operations -- like building a calendar -- it's definitely slower than the old one. Of course, I have (had, actually, just upgraded) only 2GB of RAM, and my machine is just a MacBook from 2007, so kind of low-end by today's standards.

Luckily, I plan on replacing it with a nice refurb'd 15-inch i5 early next year.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Aptmunich: Yes, I've notice this too in certain operations -- like building a calendar -- it's definitely slower than the old one. Of course, I have (had, actually, just upgraded) only 2GB of RAM, and my machine is just a MacBook from 2007, so kind of low-end by today's standards.

Luckily, I plan on replacing it with a nice refurb'd 15-inch i5 early next year.
    I'm running it on a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo with 4GB of RAM. My photo library is on my internal 5400rpm harddrive though, not my SSD, so I think that's probably the main bottleneck.

Thread Information