New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iLife 11

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bull Gator

Bull Gator is on a distinguished road

I am a Mac user and am a big fan of iLife. When I noticed the latest and greatest upgrade iLife 11 I was ready buy, however I have noticed several negative comments about iPhoto. Has anyone else had trouble?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I updated as soon as it was up for update on the website. I haven't had any problems so far.

It would be nice to be a little bit more specific about what problems you are talking about.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

My only concern with upgrading right now is that iPhoto Library Manager doesn't seem to work with it yet. I have a really large photo collection and I had to split it up into multiple libraries, so I need to wait until Library Manager is updated.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I love the new iPhoto. There are some quirks and bugs, but nothing too and and I'm sure most will be addressed quickly.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

iPhoto as shipped with iLife 11 had some bugs, one serious one that MIGHT affect some users (didn't affect everyone) that could cause a loss of photos, so I'd suggest the following.

1. As is a good idea before doing ANY major update, backup your stuff.
2. As of today, Apple updated iPhoto to 9.1 (they had a 9.0.1 update to fix the bug I referred to above out a couple of days ago). So when you do install iLife '11, run software update BEFORE you open the program(s) for the first time.

That should do the trick. Enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I had trouble with iphoto, when I *first* installed it, but now everything is perfectly fine. It's as if the computer had a learning curve with it! I also didn't lose any of my photos, face names, or locations.

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Bull Gator

Bull Gator is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the replies. I was concerned about the negative comments on the Apple web site of people who bought iLife 11. The biggest concern I had was loosing my 19,000 + photo's. I do back up and will right before the upgrade
QUOTE Thanks
Nikonshooter

Nikonshooter is on a distinguished road

I've had no problem what so ever. However, I keep a master folder of all images seperate from iPhoto.

27' iMac i5 2.7 10.7.1  1TB HD  16GB DDR3 - AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB - Magic Trackpad * White iPhone 4s 16GB  iPad 2 64GB  iPod Nano 1st Generation  iPod Nano 6th Generation  iPod Touch 1st Generation  MacBook Unibody 1st Generation 
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

My one complaint about the new iPhoto so far is that when I choose to edit a photo in an external editor (say Photoshop), iPhoto now makes a duplicate of the photo FIRST whereas before it didn't make one at all (which I preferred).

I understand Apple's rationale here -- extra safety -- but would still like to defeat it.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

The only thing I've found is that the Flickr and Facebook syncing seems a little flaky, although I haven't done much since I updated to 9.1 so maybe that fixed it.

Other than that, I like it enough that I've switched back to iPhoto from Aperture. Aperture is a great program, but a little overkill for my needs. iPhoto '11 and Pixelmator doe the job just fine for me.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Pug

Pug is on a distinguished road

I had no problems with iLife. As this thread suggested, I did the software update before opening iPhoto.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

It works fine here. My only complaint is that previously, when in an event and looking at a single photo, I could click on the photo and be taken back to the tile view of all photos in the event. The new version either doesn't do this, or I haven't found whatever preference needs to be selected to enable this behavior. Currently, I have to click on the "arrow" in the upper left that has the event's name to be taken back to the tile view.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

iPhoto 11 is fairly slow for me - which is not necessarily a new complaint, but still...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Aptmunich: Yes, I've notice this too in certain operations -- like building a calendar -- it's definitely slower than the old one. Of course, I have (had, actually, just upgraded) only 2GB of RAM, and my machine is just a MacBook from 2007, so kind of low-end by today's standards.

Luckily, I plan on replacing it with a nice refurb'd 15-inch i5 early next year.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Aptmunich: Yes, I've notice this too in certain operations -- like building a calendar -- it's definitely slower than the old one. Of course, I have (had, actually, just upgraded) only 2GB of RAM, and my machine is just a MacBook from 2007, so kind of low-end by today's standards.

Luckily, I plan on replacing it with a nice refurb'd 15-inch i5 early next year.
I'm running it on a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo with 4GB of RAM. My photo library is on my internal 5400rpm harddrive though, not my SSD, so I think that's probably the main bottleneck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Present & future | Iphoto issue NOT even APPLE themselves can solve??!! »