trouble deciding which mac to buy.
    so ill be getting my associates in digital media design. Which will all be done on mac computers. So now i have the problem of choosing which computer to buy. I am between the 15in macbook pro with the 2.4ghz I5 processor,and the mac mini, with the 2.66ghz dual core.
    I want the macbook due to the fact that its a notebook and i can take it where ever i want. But from what i know i cant set up the macbook to run a dual external monitor set up.
    and i want the mini cause its a cheaper alternative to the mac pro and i can run dual monitors for the extra work space.
    If anyone can shed some light on my dilemma, and maybe some of you ex digital media students. like if yall know ill be doing more of my work at home than in school and what not.

Specs:
    iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
    The usual wisdom when doing a lot of work with media and images is, "the more power, the better." That rules out the Mini pretty fast, at least it would if I was making the decision.

*hordes of enraged Mini fans in 3... 2... 1...*

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by omfg nick View Post
    So now i have the problem of choosing which computer to buy. I am between the 15in macbook pro with the 2.4ghz I5 processor,and the mac mini, with the 2.66ghz dual core.
    I want the macbook due to the fact that its a notebook and i can take it where ever i want. But from what i know i cant set up the macbook to run a dual external monitor set up.
    and i want the mini cause its a cheaper alternative to the mac pro and i can run dual monitors for the extra work space.
    Yes the Macbook Pro is more expensive...but then that's the way it is...if you want portability, you have to pay for it

Regarding the monitor question...if you have a Macbook Pro & you plug in an external monitor...BAMM...you have dual monitor setup (the MBP display + the external monitor).

HTH,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,
    Like Nick said, hooking the MBP up to an external monitor is really as easy as connecting the cables.

If I had to make the decision I would definitely go with the Macbook Pro, trust me you wont regret it in the future. Besides it is much more powerful than then Mini, I know because I own both of them.
    Read my blog. The Mac URL The only URL you will need to remember

marpres time
    I thought about the Macbook Pro for portability - then decided to get the 27" iMac instead. I know I can't take it with me, but with that size screen, a 2nd monitor really isnt an issue - the macbook pro will not be as powerful as an iMac, am I wrong?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Quote Originally Posted by bgardner510 View Post
    I thought about the Macbook Pro for portability - then decided to get the 27" iMac instead. I know I can't take it with me, but with that size screen, a 2nd monitor really isnt an issue - the macbook pro will not be as powerful as an iMac, am I wrong?
    An iMac generally gives you more bang for the buck than other Macs with the exception of the Mac Pro. So yes, your iMac 27" is a very good machine with lots of power. The only disadvantage being is that it's not portable.

Thread Information