New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photo editing program selection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tbone

Tbone is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for a program to add writing and captions to photos. Not a pro but would like the ability to do basic editing. Also would like to make slideshows with captions, titles and music(I know iphoto can make slideshows but want to add titles and writing to it).

I am willing to spend the money if necessary to get a decent program but want to know that it will do what I want.

Tbone
QUOTE Thanks
MrClungeHead

MrClungeHead can only hope to improve

photoshop or Gimp
QUOTE Thanks
Lord Alveric

Lord Alveric is on a distinguished road

+1 for PS. Or, its little bro: Photoshop Elements.

Wer die Wahl hat, hat die Qual.
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

Just got back from Bestbuy, talked to an apple rep who recommended bento for what I want to do. Going to look it up online...
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No, no, no, no.

You want a photo editor (iPhoto, Graphic Converter, ACDSee Pro for Mac, PS Elements, et al), and Keynote or FotoMagico.

I am particularly shocked that "an Apple rep" would suggest Bento for this, as it would be utterly useless on all points for what the OP wants.

Trust me, I do this all the time: a photo manager/editor + Keynote (or FotoMagico) = SPECTACULAR slideshow that will leave your PC colleagues gasping for air and sick with jealousy.
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

I find it hard to decide on what software to use.

The apple rep at Bestbuy said I could use iworks but actually recommended bento over iworks, saying it's his preference and will do everything iworks will for half the price.

I also asked about photoshop but again he said to use bento unless I was a pro photographer.

Most importantly I don't want to alter or lose any of my original photos in iphoto. After recently switching from a pc my pics are more organized than they've ever been before.

Tbone
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

OP - Hope you are reading the replies here. You wanted a photo editor - Bento is a database manager. The two are different animals. Buy Bento if you want to but you'll still want a photo editor.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Ned B

Ned B is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 3.0 Ghz C2D 4G Ram

+1 on Photoshop Elements, for what you're going to be doing it will work fine. Gimp is another option as already mentioned, and has the benefit of being free.
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

I am reading all the replies here. I thought photoshop would have been the best but wanted to check before spending the money. I specifically talked to the apple rep for advice but it's clear he has led me astray here; I even explained to him exactly what I'm trying to do and he said bento or iworks over photoshop.

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually...
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
I find it hard to decide on what software to use.

The apple rep at Bestbuy said I could use iworks but actually recommended bento over iworks, saying it's his preference and will do everything iworks will for half the price.

I also asked about photoshop but again he said to use bento unless I was a pro photographer.

Most importantly I don't want to alter or lose any of my original photos in iphoto. After recently switching from a pc my pics are more organized than they've ever been before.

Tbone
Bento 3 for Mac looks like a pretty good database program. But you should consider the following:
1) This is a quote from the Amazon product description for Bento,
"Note: Photos and associated data from iPhoto can only be viewed from within Bento and cannot be edited. However, you can add new fields to your Bento forms to store more data about your photos, but it will not appear in iPhoto."
2) Bento cost $42.34 at Amazon, iWork is $61.81, hardly twice as much.
3) You probably CAN do everything in Bento (except create pubs) that you can in iWork. I once had a friend who used dBase as a word processor, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to do things
4) Last, and I don't mean this as a slam at Apple reps in Best Buy (some of them are quite knowledgeable. But, you have access on this forum to some extremely knowlegeable people (not me) some of whom are current and/or retired fairly high level corporate Apple technical people (again not me) and who have replied to your post. You might find it worth your while to listen to what they are saying.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
I am reading all the replies here. I thought photoshop would have been the best but wanted to check before spending the money. I specifically talked to the apple rep for advice but it's clear he has led me astray here; I even explained to him exactly what I'm trying to do and he said bento or iworks over photoshop.

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually...
Took me a while to type my previous post (working from my iPad). It's obvious you are listening, so ignore whatever is no longer current from my previous post.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

I'm not trying to slam anyone here, if it comes across that way. I am learning that there are more intelligent people here than the ones in the store paid to wear the apple logo on their shirt.

I will be looking at photo editing programs only now, thinking of trying portraits and prints first(since it's free), and then maybe photoshop if I can't get p&p to do what I want.

I'm in Canada, the price of iworks is $100, bento is ~$50.

Tbone
QUOTE Thanks
Tbone

Here's another question I've got, a little off topic though:

Is there a way to scan an 'event' in iphoto and filter out duplicates? I merged a few events and some of the pics are duplicates which I can weed out individually but was hoping there's a way to let iphoto scan them and save me some time.

Tbone
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Here's another question I've got, a little off topic though:

Is there a way to scan an 'event' in iphoto and filter out duplicates? I merged a few events and some of the pics are duplicates which I can weed out individually but was hoping there's a way to let iphoto scan them and save me some time.

Tbone
Don't think there is a way to do it directly in iPhoto, but ChasM posted about a procedure and App a few days back that might do what you want. You can do a search for posts by him and find it, fairly recent post.

I know a way to do it, but it's fairly kludgy and involves exporting and then reimporting the entire library. Haven't tried his method, but it's probably a lot more efficient.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:

I'm in Canada, the price of iworks is $100, bento is ~$50.

Tbone
Interesting to see the price difference. Just curious (I've wondered about this before) but can you log into and buy from the US Amazon website? The price difference is substantially less, though I don't now the conversion rate and don't know what $61.81 USD comes to in Canadian dollars.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Storing photos and music on a separate drive | iPhoto 4 photos transfer to something on PC - can I? »