New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Cannot find my files in iPhoto, May quit iphoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

57guy

57guy is on a distinguished road

After 28 years, I switched from a PC to Mac. Its a great machine and for the most part I'm happy. Just takes time to get used to a few things.
I started using iPhoto and while I like it, I get frustrated trying to find my Photos to upload small J pegs to different sites.
I like to resize my photos and upload them to my Blog, my online Album, etc.
While I know how to export photos from iPhoto to my documents folder, I end up with dups of my photos all over the computer which takes up more space.
For this reason, I thinking of changing from iPhoto to some other DAM software. I would like to have a copy of the photo full size and right beside it have a Jpeg for the WEB

Does anyone know the best way to accomplish this?
Thanks
Glenn
QUOTE Thanks
Fodge

Fodge has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM

After you export and upload (or whatever) why not
Just throw out the resized derivatives? Takes 2 seconds to make another if you need one in the future.
QUOTE Thanks
57guy

57guy is on a distinguished road

I guess I could, but sometimes I want to upload 10 photos at a time. If I threw them out, I would need to make 10 new ones, each time. And the mail problem for me is I would have to find the resized photos in the Documents folder
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

You are trying to make this hard on yourself. There are several ways to do this. The easiest way till you learn more about iPhoto would be to make a folder just for the small photos, put it where ever you can find it easy. I keep a couple folders on my desktop just for working on photos. One is for all new photos right out of the camera, called (New Photos) and the other is for photos I'm working on outside of iPhoto, called (Working). You can select more that one photo at a time for Export, then Export as you have been doing to the New folder. When you select Export from iPhoto the dialog box will let you select a Small, Medium, Large, Full Size or Custom.

Another easy way is that when you have several photos selected in iPhoto drag them to the dock and drop on "Preview" that came on your mac. Preview will open up with all the photos in a sidebar, use "command A" to select all, then under Previews "Tools" menu select "Adjust Size" and resize anyway you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2010-08-23 at 2.39.37 PM.jpg (50.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2010-08-23 at 2.44.43 PM.jpg (61.3 KB, 10 views)

Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
If it's not, why embarrass him?'"
..: (Tom Clancy)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57guy View Post
For this reason, I thinking of changing from iPhoto to some other DAM software. I would like to have a copy of the photo full size and right beside it have a Jpeg for the WEB

Does anyone know the best way to accomplish this?
Thanks
Glenn
Yes. See my sig for more info about that.

But in the meantime, there are options to use iPhoto to accomplish this, it's a bit more work but it certainly can be done using methods similar to the ones described above.

I use a program called ResizeMe for this and a few other things (like quickly adding a watermark to uploaded photos) and it handles it well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New body or new lens? | Found lens on CL, worth it? »