New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Recovery of Precious Photos erased in External Hard Disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ok_xin

ok_xin is on a distinguished road

Recovery of precious photos erased in external hard disk connected to Macbook Pro after Time Machine take over.

I have 2 Macbook Pro with me now.
Old one I saved my photos in iPhoto then I trasfered them to external hard disk. After that I deleted my photos in old laptop. Photos were saved over last 2.5 years.

Sunday night I connected my external hard disk to new laptop the time machine was accidentally turned on (first time using of time machine) then accidentally pressed the erase button and everything in my extenal hard disk were gone and left time machine backup in my external hard disk.

I have checked the external hard disk, nothing I have could be found.

I have tries recover my photos in external hard disk using Stellar Phoenix could only recover photos deleted in my new laptop before time machine was on not the photos that I saved in my external hard disk before the time machine was on.

I tried use Disk Doctor to scan my external hard disk in my old laptop and got some of the photos. But I am confused whether those photos are from my old laptop or in my external hard disk!

For your info the Time Machine was doing back up from Sunday to Monday evening.

What can I do now?
And how can I permenantly off the time machine. I found that when I plug the external hard disk to either one of my laptop it is on automatically!!!

Do you think I can recover the old photos from my old laptop using those softwares? Or you have better suggestion?

So sad I have my daughter and son photo since they are born saved in my external hard disk and now they were gone...
Please help~
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok_xin View Post
Old one I saved my photos in iPhoto then I trasfered them to external hard disk. After that I deleted my photos in old laptop. Photos were saved over last 2.5 years.
So you had NO backup of these photos. Go on.

Quote:
Sunday night I connected my external hard disk to new laptop the time machine was accidentally turned on (first time using of time machine) then accidentally pressed the erase button and everything in my extenal hard disk were gone and left time machine backup in my external hard disk.
1. There isn't an erase button in Time Machine. You'll have to be more clear about what actually happened.

2. TM doesn't need the disk to be erased in order to work. It just puts a disk image file on the external HD. Again -- this doesn't follow the normal course of events and needs clarification.

Quote:
What can I do now?
Not a lot. Had you merely erased the disk and done nothing else, the chances of recovery would be much better. But now the disk has been overwritten with new information.

Quote:
And how can I permenantly off the time machine. I found that when I plug the external hard disk to either one of my laptop it is on automatically!!!
How can you blame Time Machine for this? You deliberately ignored warnings that the drive would be erased (and had no backup of "precious" pictures!). Time Machine isn't the problem here.

Quote:
Do you think I can recover the old photos from my old laptop using those softwares?
If you haven't used the old laptop much, then yes I think that's your best bet.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

In addition to the advice by chas_m, I'll tell you the same thing I tell others about storing precious photos and other items that can't be replaced on a hard drive.

Hard drives fail. It's not a matter of if, it's when. Some drives may last longer than others but at some point it'll fail. Family photos and the like should be burned to recordable media - DVD, CD. With DVD DL capability you can store hundreds of high res photos on one disk.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Testing out the auto rig. | exif editor ? »