New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Monitor options for photo editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sassafras

Hi, I currently have an iBook and am looking to upgrade to a Mac desktop. The only problem is that I am an aspiring digital photographer and have heard from some other photographers in the past that as far as color management/correction is concerned, I should stay away from LCD screens and stick to CRT monitors. Does anyone know if theory still stands? I know that I have seen color management systems that say they can be used for CRT and LCD, but I am a little skeptical. I know that I could go for the Power Mac and just hook up a CRT monitor to it, but I am wondering if I can get away with the less-expensive, space-saving option of getting an iMac. Any help is greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

As an aspiring digital photographer myself, I thought the same thing. There are lots of articles on the Apple website that will help you though: http://www.apple.com/uk/pro/design/taylorjames/ for example.

Also, my dad works for a major printing firm that runs on Macs, I've set my macs ColorSync to match him Mac at work and he has printed my photos out perfectly at A2. See http://www.apple.com/pro/training/colorsync/
QUOTE Thanks
speedydave

LCDs are catching up with CRTs, but IMO, CRTs still have an edge over LCDs if cost is playing a part in the overall assessment. There are some very nice LCDs out right now (especially the Apple standalone monitors), but in order to get the same size and quality out of an LCD, you're going to pay a lot more. 20" LCDs are becoming pretty affordable ($700ish for the Apple 20", I believe), but if you want to go bigger than that, it'll cost you (the Apple 23" is almost twice as much as the 20").

Bottom line, though, is calibration. CRTs are still (from what I know) easier to calibrate than LCDs, and what really matters in digital imaging isn't necessarily what kind of monitor you're using, but making sure that what you see on your screen is what you'll see when your image is printed.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I personally like LCDs better for video editing, but then again I am not making things for print so I don't know the difference

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
sassafras

Thanks for all the responses. From what you have all said, it seems that it is possible to accurately calibrate a LCD screen, but it is just more difficult than working with a CRT moniter...am I getting this right? So, an iMac wouldn't be completely out of the question for right now?
QUOTE Thanks
Tel

I think an iMac would be a great choice for editing digital images.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 35mm Slides in iPhoto | Image transferring problem? »