New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

does it smell like a scam ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

in00b

in00b will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" i7

i mean , there is way more that 1500$ woth of stock in this package

D90 Digital SLR Camera Body + 6 Lens Kit: 2 Nikon *NEW* - eBay (item 130364492963 end time Jun-04-10 04:50:29 PDT)
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

I think it's legit but most of the stuff they are including is garbage.

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I would pass on the package you linked to and check out B&H for a single or two lens kit. You also may want to consider a D5000, you lose the ability to auto-focus older lenses, but if you don't have an investment or plan to use older glass that may not be an issue.
I got a 2 lens kit (18-55 VR and 55-200 VR) with new D5000 for $778 after instant rebate. I think their price has gone up ~$50 since I got mine, but still a pretty nice starter set up for under $1000. For that matter, you can do what I did and add the 35mm prime and still be around $1000 USD.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Great body but I think you'll be disappointed with the rest of the package. You have to ask yourself why are they including all this? How much of it do you really want? Do you really want to pair a decent camera with all that low rent tack?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

They seem okay, just on 28,000 sales with 99.9% satisfied customers. Go into their feedback and see what purchasers of this item say about their products.
QUOTE Thanks
in00b

well at first a was palling to buy a d5000 but lot of peoples told me that the d90 is a better choice , becaus i'm a semi pro photograpre ( just starting) and i dont have the budget to buy a d300s for now , i'm doing a lot of contracts in shows and concerts so i need at least a 55-200 to be sure to go far on stage ,

so you are sayiong that the lents are no good?
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

First to the package you are showing.

It looks a bit of a rip-off. I can go to my local BestBuy and get the camera complete with a 18-105mm lens for less than 1200... and that lens is better than any of the ones listed with this camera. The 18-55 is a throwaway lens and you can find it boxed with the camera at around 1000 if you look for it. The 500mm is a POS mirror lens completely worthless as it is very slow. The 75-300 is a nice starter lens if you were using a full frame camera but for one with a 1.5 crop its kind of pointless... bulk of the "accessories" are either crap you wouldn't really want or items that are standard in the Nikon package and the seller is claiming he's doing you a favor by including... when I see someone selling a camera and then acting like they are doing me a favor by including the charger I know they are scam artists trying to rip someone off.

Second point... if you are trying to get photos in concerts, well the question is this... if you are legit photographer paid to take those photos, then you are going to have access to move about and get up to the stage for the photos so a long lens isn't needed. If on the other hand you are just trying to take photos from whatever seat you happened to be able to get a ticket to, well you will have to abide by the venue's rules for photography and most venues I'm familiar with do not allow DSLR cameras by concert goers. They normally don't mind if you use point and shoot camera, which is why I might suggest you save yourself some money and go for something like a Nikon P100. It would get you more usable zoom than you will ever get from the lenses you have listed in that package and even the longest zoom of the P100 will only be stopped down to 5.0... compared to the 500mm in that package which is probably a 8.0 and the 300mm tamron is likely 5.6... so frankly you would be getting faster glass for less price with the point and shoot.

If you are dead set on trying to be a photographer then I suggest that when you do get a DSLR you save yourself some money and buy the camera body by itself and then buy good lenses as you can afford them... don't be sucked into a bunch of bad lenses simply because they have big numbers like 500mm with them.
QUOTE Thanks
in00b

thanks to all of you
to make my situation a little more clear ,
my friend is a professional photographer an she needed an assistant ,
so she asked me , bu she didnt told me no details because she was going in vacations
now , i had 2 semester of photograpy , so i know how to be a photogrepher.........
but only in theory , so i consider myself as a complete noob that is taking a
big jump without knowing what he is doing

so thanks for the help , i'll keep you in touch with my work
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

If your friend is a professional and she needs a back up photographer, you're going to have to spend a LOT more money than $1500 to back her up. If she needs an assistant in order to carry her gear, and to help position her reflectors, then I wouldn't worry about it.

The thing about being a professionally paid photographer at any gig is being able to have very fast glass. The camera body doesn't matter as much, though the D90 is a decent start depending on the work being done. The glass in essence SHOULD cost you more than your camera body since it is a lifetime investment, whereas you'll go through several camera bodies in your life.

As for that eBay link. I would stay away from those items. The body is fine, and the 18-55 VR lens is alright for a beginners starter kit lens, but if you're doing professional work it's not going to get you very far if you're working in extreme lighting conditions.

And that Tamron telephoto lens is junk, as is the rest of the crap in that list of items. Most of that stuff is stuff that will just collect dust. Don't bother. If you're going to spend $1500, spend it wisely.

If I were you, I'd look into good used glass, first. A 70-200 2.8 VR Nikor for starters. For portraits, you can save some cash on an 85mm 1.8 at $400 rather than the 1.4 which is more than double the price. Also, Sigma just announced an 85 1.4 at $900 which if it's anything like their 28mm 1.8 or their 50mm 1.8 should kick *** pretty hard, even trumping Nikon's own glass, to be honest. (so long as there are no quality control issues.)

You should state what you'll be photographing, in order to get more help on this subject.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
in00b

my friend has a lot of contracts with groups ( french canadian indi group such as Misteur valaire) and she is also doing magazines and expos , she'll will give me most of the concerts job because she needs to focus on the expo part , so i'll need some good lents in low lighting conditions,

but my real questions was are these lents any good(since i dont know lots about lents)
and thanks to you i know that i'll pass this "deal"
and i'm thankful
My budget for now is around 1 800 can$ i know that at this price i'll only get a starter kit but the more i'll get experienced i'll buy better gears , that's for sure
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough

Folks - please put me out of my misery but whats a lents?

I've got a D90, 18-200 Nikkor, a decent flash, Slix tripod and a nice Crumpler backpack to carry it all in. Haven't missed not having a lents but now I'm thinking I'm missing out.

QUOTE Thanks
in00b

the lens are the parts that you put on the body to take the image !! \
like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nikkor17-35f2.8dafsifedlarge.jpg (67.1 KB, 1 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Quote:
Originally Posted by in00b View Post
the lens are the parts that you put on the body to take the image !! \
like this
I quess I've got that one figured.. It was the "lents" that has me puzzled.

QUOTE Thanks
in00b

its probably my bad writing , i'll excuse myself XD i'm french
QUOTE Thanks
in00b

@ dough
where do you recommend me to buy second hands lens?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Here at Mac-Forums we ask "What have you created this month?" | Image Editor »