New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto FACES

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jerry2090

jerry2090 is on a distinguished road

I copied all my pics off my old Mac onto my new one that has iPhoto 09 with the FACES feature. I've identified and labeled a dozen faces but the FACES feature won't find any matches. I have sometimes ten or more matches that I've selected for faces, and there are dozens more, but I never see FACES finding any. I get the separator bar that says

"(name) may also be in the photos below"

and a little activity circle moving around but it never finds anything for any of my pictures. Most of them are good quality full face shots. What's wrong?

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

Same issue here. I gave up on it.

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

i had the same issue as well. how can i address this issue. do you think calling apple will have any help

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

Gave up on it as well. Not sure what Apple could do for you. Might just take some time and advances in technology.
QUOTE Thanks
randoo53

randoo53 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" imac,4GBram,extended keyboard,wireless mouse,19" second monitor

I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone comes up with an answer. I set up my Faces and it works like a champ. I thought your problems may have been due to one of our most recent updates but I just checked again and it still finds all of the ones I IDed. I only have about a half a dozen different faces recognized for reference but I clicked on each one and all the photos that matched the Faces came up for me.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

It probably doesn't help that I am terrible at taking pictures!
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

Faces has to look at every photo in your library and index it before it can find a face, depending how many photos and speed of your Mac this could take a long time, maybe even hours. Once this is finished it will find new faces in a few seconds as you add new photos. I have even had it to find faces in photos hanging on the wall behind other people, and name it correctly. So faces does work and work very well if you give it time and help it get started off right.

Never ask a man what computer he uses. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you.
If it's not, why embarrass him?'"
..: (Tom Clancy)
QUOTE Thanks
randoo53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfuller View Post
It probably doesn't help that I am terrible at taking pictures!
LOL! Don't blame your picture taking. Faces isn't flawless.
In fact, it once found a picture of my lovely wife and asked if it was "this person"...who turned out to be some random guy in one of my photos and it wasn't a very flattering picture! *sigh* Needless to say my wife wasn't very pleased with my mac that day.
QUOTE Thanks
roffir

roffir will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by randoo53 View Post
LOL! Don't blame your picture taking. Faces isn't flawless.
In fact, it once found a picture of my lovely wife and asked if it was "this person"...who turned out to be some random guy in one of my photos and it wasn't a very flattering picture! *sigh* Needless to say my wife wasn't very pleased with my mac that day.
Haha I don't blame her. That has happened for my sister actually.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It gets better with the more faces you ID, particularly of the same person at different camera angles. It's not perfect though and probably will never be.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jerry2090

jerry2090 is on a distinguished road

After doing a Google search on this topic, I found a lot of problems have been reported to Apple already and they are working on a solution. At least it wasn't something I did.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.2-MacMini3,1:10.9.2-iPhone6,1:7.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
It gets better with the more faces you ID, particularly of the same person at different camera angles.
I started playing with it a bit last night and Chris is correct. The more faces I identify, the more it finds. It does seem to have some difficulty with my cat and my brother-in-law's dog. Probably due to all the photos of their hind ends tearing around the yard!

Anyone know how to get it to rescan the whole iPhoto library at once after it already scanned the whole thing months ago? I can only get it to scan one event at a time.

Privacy has become a luxury good. Be prepared to budget for it from here on out...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I started playing with it a bit last night and Chris is correct. The more faces I identify, the more it finds. It does seem to have some difficulty with my cat and my brother-in-law's dog. Probably due to all the photos of their hind ends tearing around the yard!

Anyone know how to get it to rescan the whole iPhoto library at once after it already scanned the whole thing months ago? I can only get it to scan one event at a time.
I remember reading that animal faces were a problem. Not sure how to get it to rescan the whole library. I've just let it gradually build its database over time and I'd say that about 90% of my photos are now correctly identified.

Now the only issue I have is baby photos - my two boys looked a lot alike as infants, and iPhoto just can't tell the baby pictures apart. Then again, if it wasn't for dates, I might have trouble too.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
randoo53

From everything I've read, animals are NOT supposed to be part of the equation. That's not to say it may or may not work, but the mathematical calculations are set up for the human structure.
If I can find where I read that, I will post it here.
Then again, i know some dogs and their owners that are so much alike its almost scary. I wonder how funny it would be to get a match?

Edit: Some folks apparently have had good luck getting Faces to recognize cats faces but still no luck for the dogs in our lives.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo management question | Looking for Adobe After Effects equivalent. »