New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

.jpg? .jpeg?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BurntSmore

BurntSmore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM

What in the world is the difference between .jpg and .jpeg files? And which one do you guys think is better? What extension (not only .jpg or .jpeg; all extensions) should I use for my pictures? Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

No difference between jpg and jpeg they mean the same thing its just the extension people decide to use (Kind of like .htm and .html).

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
BurntSmore

What is the best extension to use (out of all available ones)?
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

It does not matter, whichever you like. I use jpg out of habit in order to comply with the 8.3 file name format.

Also you seem to be getting file format and file extension confused.
QUOTE Thanks
BurntSmore

What's the 8.3 file name format, and what's the difference between file format and extension? :dummy: :dummy:
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

8.3 means no more than 8 characters in the first part of the name (before the ".") and the extension should not exceed 3 characters. It is a hold over from DOS, which could not exceed those limits.

File name is just that, the name of the file. File format is how the data in the file is structured. The extension is an indicator of what the format of a file is, but not a gaurantee. A jar labeled "Sugar" tends to suggest that there is sugar inside, but if you wanted to you could put flour in it, or sand for that matter. It just makes the most sense to put sugar in a jar labeled sugar, flour in a jar labeled flour, etc.

Generally for photographs jpeg format is a good compromise between size and quality. On the high end for digital photographs is RAW. Some of the professionals on the board can probably break down the various formats better than I.

EDIT: So when you ask what extension to use, jpg, jpeg, or other it is a little off. I would use "jpg" for jpeg files, "bmp" for bitmaps, "gif" for GIFS, "doc" for Word documents, etc... As to which file format to use, the paragraph above is my answer to that.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

yea, you could have files pic.jpg, pic.jpeg, and they're the same, though I believe mac os x only supports up to 3 characters in the extension.
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
yea, you could have files pic.jpg, pic.jpeg, and they're the same, though I believe mac os x only supports up to 3 characters in the extension.
Then how come I have .opml and .mpeg files scattered on my desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

never heard of .opml before, as far as the mpgs, they'd only be there if you put them there.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

OS X supports arbitrarily long extensions (for example, .webloc for web bookmark files or .plist for preferences files) or even no extension at all (for files that have Classic Type/Creator codes embedded.)

Current versions of Windows also support long extensions, though I'm not sure how long. Previous versions were more picky; hence *******ized extensions like .jpg and .htm
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

.opml is the standard format for importing and exporting RSS/Atom feeds to and from applications such as NetNewsWire or PulpFiction.

I'm actually trying to start a new trend by asking people what RSS feeds they read (sort of akin to the whole "What's On Your Dock?" Giles Turnbull started)

(and when I was reffering to them being on my desktop, I didn't mean "why are they there" - i meant "if OS X only has the capability to show three character extensions, then i must be imagining the files on my computer with four character extensions.")
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop vs. ImageReady | A good Mini-dv camera guys? »