New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Editing Software Advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DMR79

DMR79 is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased my first DSLR (Nikon D3000) and have been looking at different software for editing with. I have a 13" Macbook Pro and a 15" Macbook Pro. I have iPhoto which they came with, but seems very limited in what I can do and in the results it gives me so I downloaded the trial version of Photoshop Elements 8. I do not need all the professional options that full photoshop would give me so I'm sure Elements would be fine, but I am looking for input as to what any of you would recommend I use. Also if you know, how do I bring pics currently in iPhoto into Elements to edit them? As far as to what kind of pictures I shoot, mostly family, travel/street and outdoors/nature. I currently shoot in JPEG, but might eventually switch to shooting in RAW as my skills progress.
QUOTE Thanks
martyp

martyp is a jewel in the roughmartyp is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Retina, 2.3GHz i7, 16Gb, 512Gb SSD, 750GT. iPhone 5S 64Gb Gold

Hey there.

Congrats on your purchase, sure you'll never look back!

I gather the Nikon comes with some RAW processing software on one of the bundled CD/DVDs like Canon's EOS range - if so I'd highly recommend switching to RAW. If anything you can recover what seems at first a dull, flat photo into something great which is a lot harder to do with JPEGs.

Anyways, with regards to editing what do you have in mind?

I personally use Photoshop, as I do composite images, advanced editing etc so the additional features are required - I also find it easy to use.

If you're just brightening photos up and removing dust spots though the RAW processor that came with the camera should be more than enough. Apple's Aperture would as be a good upgrade in this department over iPhoto but it doesn't offer many 'editing' features, you can go to the apple site and download a trial.

If you're after something to actually edit then yes, Elements is good. But I'd also look at G.I.M.P. which is highly regarded as 'the free photoshop'.

Hope that helps.
QUOTE Thanks
danielb

There is a mac version of GIMP called Seashore. Also check out the command line tool Imagemagick.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

If you want to go with the more professional route then you would be using Aperture, Light Room, or Photoshop.

I really like Pixelmator for these kinds of things.
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

I personally tried both Aperture and lightroom. Aperture was okay but I personally prefer lightroom.

MacBook Pro 2.66Ghz i7. Mac Mini 2.26Ghz C2D
iPhone 3G 16GB iPad 3G 64GB
Check out my flickr
QUOTE Thanks
Corbab

Corbab will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
There is a mac version of GIMP called Seashore. Also check out the command line tool Imagemagick.
GIMP is fully functional on Macs, as long as you have X11 (which I'm pretty sure comes installed.)

Just a stupid kid with a computer, so take my advice with a grain of salt if that makes a difference to you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR79 View Post
Also if you know, how do I bring pics currently in iPhoto into Elements to edit them?
In iPhoto's preferences, you can specify a third-party app to be invoked when you select a photo for editing. This can of course be PSE. Once the photo has been saved in PSE, it is updated with your changes in iPhoto as well (and you can still get back to the unedited original if ever needed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbab View Post
GIMP is fully functional on Macs, as long as you have X11 (which I'm pretty sure comes installed.)
X11 is not installed by default on either Leopard or Snow Leopard. It's an optional install (can't remember, but I think this is also true of Tiger as well).

Cheers
chas_m

Evangelist, ACDSee Pro for Mac
Get the beta!
Join the community!
Help us build the next great Mac photo manager!
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

I'll post here, so you guys know I searched and am not a lazy bum.

I'm looking for simple photo editing software. It needs to be cheap ($<50) pretty quick, and needs to do these basic things:

- Crop
- Resize
- Color correction
- gamma, contrast, brightness, and other basic exposure corrections

That's about it.

I saw above that both GIMP and Pixelmator were recommended. GIMP needs X11, but what is that? Is it a pain in the neck to get? Is it worth the trouble?

What are some pros & cons between GIMP and Pixelmator?

Thanks.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Use Preview - it is already on your mac and it was Ok in Tiger, better in Leopard and quite capable in SL. It will do all those things you list at no further cost.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR79 View Post
Also if you know, how do I bring pics currently in iPhoto into Elements to edit them?
1. In iPhoto's preferences, you can set PS Elements as the default editor. Once that's done, clicking on a photo will launch PS Elements and open that photo.

2. When you're done making changes, save (not Save As!). Close PSE.

3. The modified and updated image is available in iPhoto. This is called "round trip editing" and it works great.
QUOTE Thanks
JeremyZ

JeremyZ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
Use Preview - it is already on your mac and it was Ok in Tiger, better in Leopard and quite capable in SL. It will do all those things you list at no further cost.
Thanks Colin. I will look into that.

Before reading that, I downloaded Pixelmator yesterday and installed it. I quite like it and was thinking it may be worth the $60 to register it once the demo expires. But I will try Preview first.

If it's worth doing, it's worth OVERdoing.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I'll post here, so you guys know I searched and am not a lazy bum.

I'm looking for simple photo editing software. It needs to be cheap ($<50) pretty quick, and needs to do these basic things:

- Crop
- Resize
- Color correction
- gamma, contrast, brightness, and other basic exposure corrections
iPhoto does all of this, and its included on your Mac.

It doesn't do resize from *within* the program, but it allows it on export.

The program referred to in my signature does not yet do these things, but it will soon.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Exporting slideshow | Preview problems with PDF Portfolio »