New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

How to make a Jpeg bigger

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

umz

umz is on a distinguished road

I have a Jpeg that I need to make 1000x1000 with at least 300 dpi my image is much smaller than this at this point. Does anyone know how i would resize this?
QUOTE Thanks
khwater

khwater is on a distinguished road

You may resize it using phtoshop ,

open the image > | + alt + command

or

Open the image > Image > image size > change it to the number u want.

If the pic is too small you may use some filters to resize it with high quality .

I hope I could help u .

M i s s . mac | M i s s . mac | M i s s . mac | M i s s . mac
QUOTE Thanks
umz

Quote:
Originally Posted by khwater View Post

You may resize it using phtoshop ,

open the image > | + alt + command

or

Open the image > Image > image size > change it to the number u want.

If the pic is too small you may use some filters to resize it with high quality .

I hope I could help u .
I don't have photoshop is there any other program I could use to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
nabl

nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork 09

Mac OS X has a built-in application called Preview that is quite capable for simple edits like resizing.

First, open the image in Preview (should be the default; if not, right-click the file or click the Action toolbar item (the gear icon) with the file selected and choose Open With and then Preview). Then click on the Tools menu and select Adjust Size. This will open a sheet asking for your desired resolution and dimensions. Type them in, unchecking the Scale Proportionally option if necessary to get an exactly square image. Click OK, save the file (I’d recommend saving it with a different name), and you’re done.

Please note, though, that upscaling JPG files will undoubtedly result in a loss of quality—sometimes a drastic one.
Attached Images
File Type: png Resize Image Sheet.png (50.5 KB, 37 views)
QUOTE Thanks
umz

I can't locate that menu the only options I have are in the attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 11.png (53.7 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks
nabl

nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork 09

It looks like your version of Preview can’t resize images; I think many of the editing capabilities were introduced in 10.5 Leopard.

The simplest alternative I can think of is to download a free program like The GIMP. If you decide to download and use that, here is a tutorial on how to resize. The screenshots refer to its use in Ubuntu rather than OS X, but they are close enough that you should be able to figure it out.

You could also try looking through Automator’s actions, but I’m not sure if the Scale Images action is available in your version of OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
Pickle

Pickle is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: old Dual 2.0 G5, new(er) ibook, old ibook, Mac Plus

The best way will cost you. We use photozoom at work when a client sends us a low-rez file and refuses to spend the money on nice hi-rez version. It is not cheap but I think if you are going to be dealing with this problem a lot it is worth it.
All that being said a low-rez jpeg will never be as good as a hi-rez one no matter how much money you throw at it.

BenVista
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

That's going to be one blurry image when you blow it up that much. Bumping it up from 72 dpi to 300 dpi is just making it add extra information it doesn't have and it's going to fill it in with garbage. Which in turn makes the image blurry.

If you need something to resize images for free, try gimp. Google it.
QUOTE Thanks
FISHB124

FISHB124 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Try printing the jpeg out, scan it at 300 DPI, and see if you can zoom it to the size you want. That might be a solution for someone without any editing programs. This might work.. maybe. :]
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

NO.. this is what you need to do.. print out the image, then find a high quality scan and scan it in at like 900dpi or more if you can .. then you will be able to resize it easier..

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
NO.. this is what you need to do.. print out the image, then find a high quality scan[ner] and scan it in at like 900dpi or more if you can .. then you will be able to resize it easier..
Fixed to make sense.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual monitors with lightroom | Really frustrated with saving an image off a web page? »