New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Best Choice for Graphics Cards

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sgman123

sgman123 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a used MAC G5 Dual Core 2.3 GHzPower PC and I was wonder what the best, most compatible Graphics Card would be? I will never use this for gaming as it is solely for my Graphic Design work (illustrator, Photoshop, etc) No high end video editing. Thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgman123 View Post
what the best, most compatible Graphics Card would be? I will never use this for gaming .... No high end video editing. Thoughts?
If that is the case, then there really isn't any reason to change out the card.
The one your computer has now would be the best and most compatible.

You're not going to use it for any 3D intensive work and you're not going to do any major video editing.
You simply won't have any need for an upgraded graphics card since all you're going to be working with is 2D.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

What card is in it? CS4 uses the video card. The integrated card in my 15" unibody MBP was causing CS4 to run slowly with large files. I had to use the dedicated GPU for it to run smoothly.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
What card is in it? CS4 uses the video card. The integrated card in my 15" unibody MBP was causing CS4 to run slowly with large files. I had to use the dedicated GPU for it to run smoothly.
Yes, even with the minimal use of the GPU by Adobe's Photoshop CS4, you won't need a massive graphics chip.

Adding more system RAM and setting a proper scratch disk is the best way to optimize Photoshop.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And as the Dual Core probably has the nVidia GeForce 6600 with 256MB RAM it is as good as you want for every day use. Use 8GB memory from OWC and PS runs smooth as silk.

Memory Upgrades for your PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3GHz 'Dual Core/Late 2005' (October, 2005) at OtherWorldComputing.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How do I extract a logo from a .pdf? | Ooops, changed to apple color picker in PS... »