New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto - Questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

OK, I have nearly got my head around the whole SQL database utilization for iPhoto.

Now - I need to know about the database - originals vs modified

Does iPhoto automatically duplicate photos that have been imported?

I can see 2 folders:-

Originals
Modified

Both have copies of the same file structure and photos. [same number of folders and photos].

The only difference is that if a photo has been edited, the edited photo is displayed in the 'modified' folder file structure.

If so, I think that is a complete waste of HD space. I wouldnt mind it duplicating photos and folders if I edited a specific one - but to duplicate every photo on import is a waste of space and money.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You really shouldn't be poking around the iPhoto database. You could mess up your library if you move or modify any of the files. iPhoto is meant to be used via the application only, no need to poke around the internals.

However, if you don't like the way iPhoto organizes photos, then perhaps you might want to look into a program that's more in tune with how you'd like the files to be organized. Based on your preferences, I would suggest Google's Picasa.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

I am not modifying anything within the strucure. I was just interested in how it works.

The only thing I do is export selected events, run a script to rename the photos, create event folders, then sort photos into folders. This is for backup prosesses only.

Back to the point. I like using iPhoto, even the simple editing brings my photos alive within seconds. I just question the way it does it. Due to space limitations on a laptop (500gb) doubling the photo database doesn't seem efficient enough just on the offchance that I may need to edit them.

I suppose one way of getting around this is to install a NAT and install the iPhoto database on that instead.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Oh I apologize. Most people who come here asking about the iPhoto directory usually do so with the intent of mucking about with it. I misunderstood your intent.

I'd love to offer some information about how the directory works, but I very much leave it alone. Perhaps someone else who is more attuned to iPhoto's inner workings could provide some insight.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

The originals are kept so that the user can go back to the original at any time and start their modifications over again. The modified folder is only the photos that have been modified in some way, edited, rotated, etc. It would seem in your case that you have done "something", however small, to modify the photo, causing it to show up in the "modified" folder.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
elpepo

elpepo can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Macbook `08 4gb ram, 750gb, 2GHz intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.9 - Ipad4 - Iphone5 - AppleTV3 -

How can i erase pictures ?
i try to erase events , and i coudn´t !
thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Highlight the photos, select Photos from the Menu line then Move to Trash.

At sometime in the future select iPhoto and Empty Trash.

Hope that helps.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Altimatum

Altimatum is on a distinguished road

I have a question similar to this subject. I just got my first MacBook and am in the process of transfering over 30gb of photos from my pc to the mac. When I import them into iPhoto is it going to duplicate all of them? I found the option in the settings to not copy them to the database. Will this just leave them in their orignal location where I transferred them to?
Sorry if this is a simple question but I want to make sure I don't take up over 60gb of space.
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

Try looking here for a lot of help: Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.

Mary
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Starting school in August (is a MBP for me?) | Converter, Slideshow and Video Authoring Software Question »