New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto - This Is How To Export ALL Photos Into Separate Folders Named As Events

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

Hi guys,

I know most of you have been wishing this was possible, and now it is.

You will need to follow this guide and run a script.

macosxhints.com - Export iPhoto events into appropriate directory structure

I have been speaking to Thom the creator of the script to clarify a few things [as I am new to Unix] and it works perfectly fine.

Basically you will export all your photos into a folder, they will all be named as the event they were sorted in by iPhoto. You will run the script and it will create new folders named as each event and then sort all the photos into the correct folder.

I wish Apple would add this into the SW as std though.

QUOTE Thanks
Sillup

Sillup is on a distinguished road

Don't know if you can help but I am desperate. Last week I installed updates one of which I think was iphoto. When I opened iphoto up all of my events (months of work) had been dumped into one massive event for reasons best known to apple. Any ideas on how this can be rectified? My immediate action was to go to my backup but the laws of nature determined that the external drive is bust. Just not my week!
ANy ideas gratefully received, preferably in simple steps as am new to macs.
Thanks
Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac View Post
Hi guys,

I know most of you have been wishing this was possible, and now it is.

You will need to follow this guide and run a script.

macosxhints.com - Export iPhoto events into appropriate directory structure

I have been speaking to Thom the creator of the script to clarify a few things [as I am new to Unix] and it works perfectly fine.

Basically you will export all your photos into a folder, they will all be named as the event they were sorted in by iPhoto. You will run the script and it will create new folders named as each event and then sort all the photos into the correct folder.

I wish Apple would add this into the SW as std though.

QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

Sue - there will be a lot more knowledgeable guys than me on here and I am sure they will help.

Running an update should not have done this. I have cloned my drive twice and reinstalled my OS so have run many updates since and never had this happen.

Are you clicking on Photos or Events? As this is probably just a setting that has gone amiss.

Right click on a photo and click 'show file'. This will show you the files structure of your photos. You will either have folders by date [if imported via camera] or folders by whatever you named them [if you imported the actual folders - i.e. off a windows machine] If it is the latter then you could copy all the folders and paste them somewhere safe - delete all the existing photos in iPhoto - then reimport them which should automatically categorize them into Events.

If the above is not possible and you havent got a backup then the only way I can think of doing this is by painstakingly reorganizing your events, then do a backup.

How did you import your photos?
QUOTE Thanks
skybolt

skybolt has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: White 2010 MB, Core 2 Duo, 8g RAM, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini, Apple TV

If the photos are indeed all in one large file (what Chrismac said -- Photos vs. Events), you could select all the photos and them have iPhoto creat events based on date. I'm not at the mac right now, so can't remember the method exactly, but look on the toolbar and click around and you'll find the right command. I have done this many times after I had initially put lots of photos into one event and later decided I wanted it broken down. At least if your photos get arranged by date, a lot of you re-organizing will be done for you.

Good luck!

Mary
QUOTE Thanks
billieh

billieh is on a distinguished road

Hi there!

I've actually had this very same issue, and I didn't want to pay for any solutions - so I created a quick free Applescript that does the work for you, based on the same idea without the need for Python or 'Linux' knowledge.

All you do is Open the App, point it to your iPhoto Library, tell it where to save the photos, and go get a cup of coffee. Your photos will be copied *(not moved) to the destination folder, completly sorted with Folder names by Event.

iPhoto: Export ALL Events to Folders

I know it's an older thread, but this really did help me sort my 2000 events into nice clean folders.
QUOTE Thanks
audunk

audunk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13' Macbook Air 2011 Mac OS Maverick 10.9.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billieh View Post
Hi there!

I've actually had this very same issue, and I didn't want to pay for any solutions - so I created a quick free Applescript that does the work for you, based on the same idea without the need for Python or 'Linux' knowledge.

All you do is Open the App, point it to your iPhoto Library, tell it where to save the photos, and go get a cup of coffee. Your photos will be copied *(not moved) to the destination folder, completly sorted with Folder names by Event.

iPhoto: Export ALL Events to Folders

I know it's an older thread, but this really did help me sort my 2000 events into nice clean folders.
l tried this one with two of my events in iPhoto with both the versions that are available, but only get this message. What do l do wrong??
Attached Images
File Type: png Skjermbilde 2013-06-12 kl. 03.16.40.png (62.0 KB, 17 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Simpler way to do essentially the same thing:

iPhoto To Disk

(plus, it's free!)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nikon V2 with 55-200mm VR kit lens | I need an image writer library for XCode project »