New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photoshop: adding text boxes?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EvoMac

I was wondering if there was a way to quickly add text boxes to a photoshop picture. Something similar to say a comic book. Any input would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
edgefusion

edgefusion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram

As far as I know there's no 'quick' way to do it, for stuff like that you should use Adobe InDesign or Quark Express.

QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

click-drag out w/Text Tool....makes shape similar to address bar to type in. Maybe double-click in a spot to make it appear...Sorry I usually don't do my type in Photoshop
QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

Overall suggestion would be to use the graphic in inDesign or Quark to make the chat boxes then?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

a. type should not be done in photoshop, rather in indesign or quark, or maybe, in the MOST desperate situations, pagemaker.
b. if you mean that little bubble shaped thing, try usning illustrator, its perfect for that sort of stuff.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Why should type not be done in Photoshop? It can do it and it's very good at. Sure it's not as good as regular "type" programs, but Photoshop does an excellent job!
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

vector versus raster.... Better handling of kerning/leading with individual spacing in say Illustrator than Photoshop. I'd get martyred in typography for creating in Photoshop
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

I use both - Illustrator for layout, type, and text and Photoshop for images and touchup. There've been many advances in both PS and Illustrator but the latter still handles typography better.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

Absolutely, but it's when and how you are going to use it. If you are just creating a web graphic, then Photoshop is more than sufficient, you can control kerning, leading, character width, etc etc all in Photoshop... Now if I was going to go get something printed using a nice big press, then no way would I use Photoshop. Photoshop does do vector now also fyi

So if it's web stuff then I don't agree with you, but if it's for print then I definitely agree and I guess it comes down to what the guy is needing it for. if it's an online comic book, then by all means use Photoshop for it all, otherwise if you are going to get it printed on a Heidelberg (sp?) then do it in a desktop publishing app.

Sorry I took graphics design in college, learned offset printing and have worked with both print and the web since 1995 plus all the tools, Photoshop, Pagemaker, Quark, Illustrator, Freehand, etc etc since that time also. Just a little background on myself to show that I have a bit of experience
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

same here...I graduated more in print design than web so I guess I'm biased. I sent more to an offset printer (Heidelberg*you spelled it right* when we can find one) than handle type for the web. If he's doing web I agree that Photoshop well be sufficient. I'm a stickler for type (My type teacher was a slavedriver)

BTW: was vector added in PS CS? Have fully explored it yet.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

EXACTLY. rasterized type really sucks in print, most time. I love indesign and illustrator. DEM, where do you work, or what do you do. Ive worked in printing/graphic design all my life as you know. if you wanna see something I did in illustrator, click my sig and do a search for toucan.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

o, ps does have very little vector abilities, nothing big really, plus type on a path, which most other apps do already.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
EXACTLY. rasterized type really sucks in print, most time. I love indesign and illustrator. DEM, where do you work, or what do you do. Ive worked in printing/graphic design all my life as you know. if you wanna see something I did in illustrator, click my sig and do a search for toucan.
Work @ Alchemy/Locomotion Studios just outside Austin as a graphic designer/web and as of recently heading up our character animation and motion capture studio. The only gripe is that Vicon doesn't support OSX...so I'm stuck on PC for most of the day.

nice toucan...with the slight slant on his eye he almost seems sad ...like your GUI...Shapeshifter?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Yeah it definitely sounds like we're in agreement and yeah typography teachers always seem to be extreme sticklers And like Macman said, Photoshop only does basic vector work, nothing like Illustrator of Freehand, but with each release it is getting even better. I don't do any of that anymore full time, I keep up with most of it though and like you kind of mentioned.. the way the teachers are.. that stuff just sticks with you! I have my own programming business for web development and actually do a lot of work for companies like yours. I have no idea if you have inhouse workers for web programming, but most do not so they outsource to my business, which allows them offer more in the web development area.

Anyways sounds like we are all in agreement, so I hope that helps you out a bit itloser
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
Work @ Alchemy/Locomotion Studios just outside Austin as a graphic designer/web and as of recently heading up our character animation and motion capture studio. The only gripe is that Vicon doesn't support OSX...so I'm stuck on PC for most of the day.

nice toucan...with the slight slant on his eye he almost seems sad ...like your GUI...Shapeshifter?
yup, shape shifter, I love that guikit. is your work far from where you live? Id never work for a company that uses pc for graphic design, its ridiculous.
Ive always said, if a company whose industry is based in macs cant get macs, or use them, I wont work there. and trust me, Ive turned down some high paying jobs for this reason. not that I cant use a pc, I just have grown to be disgusted by windows, I even charge extra per hour to work on pc's.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP - iPhoto | iphoto not opening »