New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

looking for a low cost photo editing app

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

n10sivern

n10sivern is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro

i collect rifles and i'm building a light box to take photos in. essentially what i'm looking for is a low budget/free photo editing software for the mac that will allow some color adjustment and will allow me to white out the entire background or cut the object out of the pic and place on a white background. forgive my ignorance as i'm pretty new to macs and playing with my DSLR (a whole 5 months).
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Gimp.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Take a look at Pixelmator. It's not Photoshop, but it's easy to use, feature rich and extremely fast.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I'm not a huge picture editor myself but I quite like Acorn. Not super cheap ($50) but it might do the job for you.

If you want free, you could try The Gimp like CrimsonRequiem suggested. You can download it here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Paintbrush
QUOTE Thanks
bikalpapaudel

bikalpapaudel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch

^ Thats a bit too limited I guess.

GIMP will get work done pretty well. If you want to spend, go Pixelmator.

Aluminum MacBook Pro 13", AOC 22" Full HD. iPod Touch, HTC Gene. Windows 7 on a dumpster.

Everest, Buddha, Gorkha.
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

I would also go with Pixelmator to do what you want to do. I don't know of any free Apps that will let you cutout and object like you want. I think you get a lot of editor for $59 in Pixelmator and you may want to use some of it's other options as you learn to use it. It has a bit of learning curve but I think a lot Less than Photoshop or even the free Gimp.
QUOTE Thanks
bikalpapaudel

bikalpapaudel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch

^ Even though I use Pixelmator, GIMP is as easy.

Aluminum MacBook Pro 13", AOC 22" Full HD. iPod Touch, HTC Gene. Windows 7 on a dumpster.

Everest, Buddha, Gorkha.
QUOTE Thanks
☺Mac's Forever☺

☺Mac's Forever☺ is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" March 2009 Imac, 15" 700mhz G4, 2x Mac classics, and 3 ipods (nano shuffle and touch).

Gimp, free, fast and extremely well made. But eventually if you need a bit more an advanced program get photoshop (worth it). =)
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

I use gimp. It meets all my demands, and is easy to use.
QUOTE Thanks
xxBURT0Nxx

xxBURT0Nxx is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP | 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo | 4 GB Ram | 250 GB HDD

I just downloaded seashore it was free, and so far pretty good, but I don't know too much about photoshopping so it may be a bit limited compared to other options.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Why not use Preview, it comes with Tiger and leopard - the latest has heaps of adjustments and even Tiger versions of Preview were under rated for handling pics
QUOTE Thanks
kathleenP84

kathleenP84 is on a distinguished road

mmm, i couldn't think of a better software for you than Gimp. It's free and extremely well done for a free software. If you are not a profi and you learn how to use ti well, you will never need any other software.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how do i get this effect in photoshop? | Logo design and reality »