New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Raw Files in Lightroom

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CMPOB

CMPOB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17

I'm using LR 2.3 and I'm finding that when I import RAW files from the camera, they come in initially with the camera profile (eg vivid colour some sharpening). After LR renders the preview, they revert to what seems to be the raw state (duh, I know)...

Whats causing this. I had thought that one could set camera sharpness and colour profiles on camera. Can you set LR to take account of these and leave well enough alone. I feel I'm missing something pretty basic here.

Any help Appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
Phototini

Phototini will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU

When you shoot in Raw none of that stuff matters. It will give you the the data in LR but it does not take affect because it does not write that information into the file. This allows you to edit in a non destructive way, and then after you are done in LR and export the image to a .jpg it will then write whatever information you did in LR into the file.
QUOTE Thanks
CMPOB

CMPOB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17

Nah, I've worked it out. The initial image displayed is the embedded JPEG in the RAW file. I can match a LR preset to apply those changes.

Query closed. Thanks for responding
QUOTE Thanks
Phototini

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPOB View Post
Nah, I've worked it out. The initial image displayed is the embedded JPEG in the RAW file. I can match a LR preset to apply those changes.

Query closed. Thanks for responding
You lost me....but ok.
QUOTE Thanks
BenB

BenB is on a distinguished road

There are two separate files that reference each other. There is no JPEG "in" a RAW file. Lightroom on a Mac? Hm, when Aperture is so much more mature, flexible, faster, and more powerful?

Apple Certified Master Trainer
bbalser.com
FCPXProUniversity.com
LouisianaCajunCutters.org
QUOTE Thanks
Phototini

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
There are two separate files that reference each other. There is no JPEG "in" a RAW file. Lightroom on a Mac? Hm, when Aperture is so much more mature, flexible, faster, and more powerful?
I have tried Aperture and for me Lightroom is much better suited to my workflow. And honestly I have no idea what you mean by saying Aperture is "more mature, flexible, faster, and more powerful". For me Lightroom does everything I need it to do amazingly fast, and it integrates seamlessly with CS4. Heck the only time I open CS4 any more is when complex retouching is needed on an image.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
There are two separate files that reference each other. There is no JPEG "in" a RAW file.
I usually don't like to jump in the middle of a conversation, but, I don't know where you heard that with regard to raw files. In many (most) raw formats, there are embedded jpegs for preview. Some cameras offer a raw+jpeg capture capability where two files are stored, but Canons .crw and .cr2 both have a jpeg embedded in the raw file for preview. Some Nikon .nef files (depending on camera) have an embedded preview image that is similar to a jpeg basic.

see here for more raw information:

Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - scroll down to the file contents section.

For information on the .crw format specifically, this page has a good breakdown:

The Canon RAW (CRW) File Format

scroll down to 0x10b5 which represents a specific location in the crw file that starts the reference area describing the jpeg that is included with the raw data.

Raw files can and many do have embedded jpegs - this is usually the imagery used by portable viewing devices (like the Epson P2000 for example) to display the photo contained in the raw file - those portable devices don't contain near enough processing power to decode and display a full raw file quickly, but they can extract and display the embedded jpeg included with the raw file.

Some cameras allow you to turn off the embedded jpeg format and save the jpeg that would normally be embedded as a separate jpeg file (I believe the 1DMkII has this option and possibly newer in the same line)

What software do I use? Lightroom - why? Because I owned a license key when I switched to Mac, and because other software was more pressing to replace and I liked lightroom, I decided to just move to the Mac version. Eventually I may get Aperture, but there are many things ahead of it on my purchase list

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dot Count Software | BMAP Problem »