New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

In need of a cad application...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lazacom

lazacom is on a distinguished road

Hi! I really want to get rid of my old windows based laptop, and get a new shiny, reliable, virus-free, high tech, macbook pro!!! But... i'm curently working autocad, tekla structures, and i would realy like to learn how to operate solidworks, strucad, and other popullar design programs... If not posible what else is there, that can perform the same tasks as those above? Mainly i'm most concerned in using 3d structural apps like Tekla and Strucad... Thanks in advance...
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

You'll have to run basically any series CAD program under virtualization or Boot Camp anyways, so you'll still run the risk of getting malware.
QUOTE Thanks
lazacom

lazacom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
You'll have to run basically any series CAD program under virtualization or Boot Camp anyways, so you'll still run the risk of getting malware.
so... saying this, you make me think that there isn't any reason why i should change to mac... if i have to run windows, it means that i'm gonna use more ram from my system, more cpu power, and practicaly, zero down the benefits that an owner of a mac has... :-( the point is to be able to work a cad software without the annoying red-green-yellow-blue flag that says start at the down left corner of my machine... :-) am i right?
QUOTE Thanks
CMPOB

CMPOB is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17

It depends on what knid of CAD you need. The heavy Hitters, ACAD and microstation are both currently PC only (although there is recent talk about ACAD porting to the MAC and MStn will no doubt follow. For big projects they are both the most stable and the most conducive to multi user/discipline environments. That said, under either Boot camp or one of the Virtualisation Applications (VM Fusion or Parallels) the PC versions work perfectly well, with no perceptible performance hit. Given how expensive CAD licenses are, I would recommend you port to MAC, get a copy of Parallels 4, and use your existing package - pretty much natively. Ive been using MCStn V8si for a few years now on a Macbook Pro and find it work fine. I drag and drop files to the mac desktop and can print either from Windows or Mac.

CAD remains the last bastion application to go back properly to MAC. The barrier remains the fact that the majority of heavy license users - Engineering and Local Authority/Public Gov users are Microsft and PC based from years gone by. If anything, its design professionals - architects etc, who are pushing for availability on both platforms.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazacom View Post
so... saying this, you make me think that there isn't any reason why i should change to mac... if i have to run windows, it means that i'm gonna use more ram from my system, more cpu power, and practicaly, zero down the benefits that an owner of a mac has...
Exactly. I don't know how Parallels or VMWare perform with CAD-like applications, but you know... virtualization is virtualization.
QUOTE Thanks
JJBean

JJBean is on a distinguished road

I've run autoCAD while using VMware fusion, it's not as nice as running it through boot camp. But if you have to, it works. I found that the mouse is kind of jerky and that when doing hatches it can take a minute to continue. I'm on a macbook with a 2.4 ghz duo core processor with 4 gigs of ram. I was also using windows XP.
If you really want to run cad on your mac, install windows with boot camp and just don't go on the internet when your on the windows partition. If you don't want to do this, go back to windows
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remove Image Fills From ConceptDraw Pro | Looking for a simple image resizer/cropper »