New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Logo design and reality

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rocketman766

rocketman766 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17" Glossy 2.16 gHz/2gig/320g

I am to the point where I need to have a logo designed and would like to get a little info. I believe you get what you pay for, but I know that only goes so far too. I have seen quite a few logo design ads on the web (mainly Craigslist) where you pay $50 up to $700 for logo designs. I tried to contact a local graphic design artist, but his number no longer worked. What is a fair and expected price to pay? I would like the final product in different formats so I can easily use it when and where I want. I know if I try to do it myself, I will get a crappy design. I don't want to go buy some logo design software for $99 and be limited by my own imagination.... Are these companies on CL legit? Anyone here ever use Logomojo or a company like that? Heck, anyone here work for any of these companies? (is it ok if I ask that????)

QUOTE Thanks
Lewwy

Lewwy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM

I could give it a go for $70.. No fee up front, ill just watermark the design until you've paid for it. If you dont like it, no obligation to buy it. No hard feelings.

You've got nothing to lose.. Only pay if you like it

I cant comment on the companies you have listed though
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

PM sent to you Lewwy...

QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

I would like to try it as well...if you don't mind lewwy

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Post details, we can all have a go

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Lewwy

Ah bugger
Competition always increases the risk of losing, HAHA!

Nah, im up for it..

If I do lose, and my designs look like they were done in MS-Paint :O, I shall blame it on all the other really important design jobs I was doing at the time
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

Ok, didn't expect this to turn into this, but.....here you go.

Company: Gym Star Photos
I primarily take photos of sporting events, Team and Individual portraits, Event coverage, but I am also open to anything ( This weekend I am shooting a baby Christening ).
I do not have a preference of colors ( I originally chose the green on my website because it green was one of the colors of my daughters cheerleading team---thats where I started this whole thing at...)

Take a look at my site ( yep, the one in the sig..) to see what I do mostly with the cheerleading. The word is getting out locally but don't have portraits up on the site.

QUOTE Thanks
Lewwy

Ok, everyone cool with a 'closing date' of Monday 9pm GMT?

Gives us the weekend to have a little play then
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

sure and this is just for a logo, nothing more, correct? i will start coming up with concepts

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

Just a logo....nothing more. After I chose one, we can then talk about more possibly (?) and compensation for it.

QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

i think 70$ is insanly cheap for a logo but it was already agreed upon

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
i think 70$ is insanly cheap for a logo but it was already agreed upon
It is insanely cheap.

To the OP:

Yes, logo design work can cost upwards of $200 or more.
Most designers would require at least 25% of that as a down payment before anything is shown to you as well.
You're getting a huge deal if someone has agreed to do all of the work for an amount that many others would consider just a down payment.

To Lewwy:

The client won't lose out on anything, but you could lose a lot if a client hands over your "watermarked" work to another designer.
Even if you add one, a watermark can be removed or otherwise circumvented (rather easily) by an experienced designer.
No offense intended, but anyone willing to provide artwork to a client prior to being paid anything is either an inexperienced student, a new (and inexperienced) business owner or just plain desperate for work.
Sure, even if you are paid by a client, they could still take your work to someone else... but at least you got paid for the time and effort you put into it before they bailed on you.
Besides, if a client pays you first, they aren't as likely to take your work elsewhere anyway.

To both:

Be sure to get your agreements in writing before any money is exchanged and before any work is done.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
rocketman766

I may end up getting the deal of a lifetime here, but that is yet to be seen. I completely understand everything said above.

To all who take a stab at this.... I WILL NOT DO ANYTHING WITH YOUR WORK without everything being in order. I am not looking to collect logos to hand out or modify in any way. I'm not that good, or I would do it my self... I will not take your work to anyone else. I am constantly fighting parents from stealing my images from my website, so I know what its like to have your work stolen...won't do it. I intend to give credit where credit is due (link to your site on my website????)

If anyone feels their work is in jeapordy of being stolen or used in the wrong way, feel free to not give it a shot. (hope that made sense...)

Im not here to rip anyone off. I did not open the thread as a way to get a competition going or free work.

QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I never meant to infer that you personally would take anyone's designs and run off (I should have clarified that in my previous post), I was merely demonstrating a point.

It's just that I have seen many fellow designers fall into a similar situation and have their works lifted.
I get clients every week that bring in their "concept work"... which in actuality is the final design and work from another design company that the client went to first.
(I don't use any of it and I make sure to explain exactly why I won't use it to a client before starting on a new design for them)

Point is that anyone involved should be clear as to what they expect to receive... and have it in writing first.
A classic case of inexperienced/student designer is the Nike Swoosh.
That person was lucky and Nike actually ended up rewarding her with a hefty portion of company stock, though that was never part of the original agreement.
Nike didn't have to do that could have received (what is now) one of the highest recognized logo identities in the world.... all for only $35.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

honestly i would have said around $350-400 for a logo... i have a friend that does it for $500. The people that charge $50 on CG mostly likely just use a lil logo program the most likely downloaded to make a few quick bucks.

my teacher told me that when you do logo's for large corp. charge about $2500 b/c you never know what may happen to it and such.. could be just like that nike swoosh.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« looking for a low cost photo editing app | Cs2/cs3 »