New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Smoking Poster

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shooting_rubber

shooting_rubber is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Here is a smoking poster I have been recently working on in Photoshop. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if they like it, or if they have any suggestions on how I can improve upon it.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoking Poster.jpg (150.7 KB, 140 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

What's with all the white streaks in the background? Is that supposed to be paint? Seems kinda out of place.

The red font you chose over the dark background is sort of hard to read. It doesn't stand out, which is what you want in a poster.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

if you can dont put red text on black background makes it hard to read. and the red text you have there has to much going on with it.. i.e. the bevel and emboss. remember simple sells. Also the background is to busy as Kash said.. it just does not seem to flow with the art work you are trying to put together.

please dont feel as i am picking your work apart, i am just trying to see what you see and open your eyes to see what i see.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

honest critique...

i agree with Kash about the font/color, mainly about the red, how it looks on the background and whatever sort of shadow/outline effect there is on it - the blue is much better.
i do get what you're doing with the red and blue, as a before/after sort of thing - that does work.

i'm with Kash also on the stray stuff in the background. i don't think it adds. more is definitely not more in this case. what is your thought on why it's there?

the thing that bothers me most is the image of the woman. as much as smoking puts me off, the pic itself seems sort of glamorous and in a way comforting, sort of a port in the storm that is the rest of the pic. maybe if she was in silhouette? or had a nasty crosshatch overlay (minus the other stray marks on the back -on a solid background, it may be more powerful).

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

well spoken Eric.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You might also want to have a lit cigarette

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

It looks like the woman is seducing the cigarette.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Español. Oui, je parle français. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Okay time to be super nit picking. >_<"

You need to resolve the color scheme it's not working.

No stroking the type please.

Not sure what's going on with the lady's hair towards the back it looks like she got a bad haircut.

Pick typefaces that have been time tested for readability, especially since this is for a poster.

Why are there flames shooting out of her shoulder? I know that's not what you want. Move things around so it doesn't look like that.

The white slashes is not working. They are taking away from everything else. Tone them down...the background is not suppose to be more important than the foreground and the typography.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
shooting_rubber

Here is an updated version:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoking Poster.jpg (135.5 KB, 52 views)
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I would get rid of the stroke and effects on the type.
Keep the text color white for all... no gradients, strokes, shadows, highlight, glows...etc.
Simpler is better.

The second smoke wisp by the phrase "put the smoke out" seems out of place... it's just there. I would advise getting rid of it.

I would also loose the flame image. At the very least, reverse the image of the woman so the light from the flame looks like it is creating the light on the side of her face.
The way it is set now makes no sense, since the side with the bright fiery flames seem to be casting a shadow on that side?

Better yet, just get a different photo for the woman. As was pointed out, it makes smoking look glamorous. I know that's not what you want to convey.
Find an image of a less attractive person, perhaps... something along the lines of This poster.
I know that is a bit more extreme that you would require for your purpose, but it does work for that poster since the over the top "ugliness" is used to enhance the irony of that poster's message.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
shooting_rubber

Here is an idea I have been playing with for this project... It's a different one that the fire. I just got the idea, so it is in the early stages.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoking Poster #2.jpg (109.1 KB, 34 views)
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I think your second idea looks better.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
blackmac11

blackmac11 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Both you second version's look much better. The more 'white space' there is, the easier it is to read.

l
I’ll keep it short and sweet — Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business. -Monty Burns
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

On your first idea 2nd edition. I think you switch the colors of the type. IE make it black and have just the word "flames" in red. Get rid of the white outline on the type it's is not necessary.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Website for iPhoto Clip Arts | finding a photos in iphoto »