New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

how to open a file in preview

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cmeffa

cmeffa is on a distinguished road

how to open a file in preview? i thought I had it figured out . Evertime I try to open jpeg file adobe photo comes up. I suck at this computer stuff so sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

While you're browsing in Finder - hit the space bar - this will open the highlighted file in Preview

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
cmeffa

What is browsing in finder? Sorry not sure what you mean?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Finder is the OS X equivalent of Windows Explorer. It is the program you use to copy/move/see files. It is represented by the icon which looks like a blue face (for lack of a better description).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cmeffa

i clicked on finder nothing is happening
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

Finder can also be accessed by clicking on the Macintosh HD icon on your desktop. Undoubtedly you are already using it to find the JPEG and try to open it, unless it is on your desktop. Anyway, find the file you are trying to open, right click on it (or hold down Control and click), and select "Get Info". When the window pops up you will see about halfway down an option labeled "Open with". You may have to click the small triangle next to this to see the options below it. There will be a small drop down menu which lists all of the available applications to open the file with. Select Preview from the list, then click the "Change All..." button. This will change all JPEG files' associations so from now on they will always open with Preview.
QUOTE Thanks
cmeffa

I did all the above but now file will not open.
QUOTE Thanks
cmeffa

I could open it in photoshop but I wanted to open it in preview to print it out. I did the above steps but now when I click to open it does'nt open. Sorry to be such a nuisance. I am not very knowledgaable about this stuff. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeffa View Post
I did the above steps but now when I click to open it does'nt open.
Do you get any sort of response after double clicking the JPEG?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
cmeffa

Yes. All that happens is the an icon appears very quickly on my dock then dissappears. not sure why. It is an icon that looks like an A.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

That's not Preview. The Preview icon looks like this (without the word preview at the bottom). Are you sure you set Preview as the application to open your jpegs?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
littleman23408

littleman23408 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
While you're browsing in Finder - hit the space bar - this will open the highlighted file in Preview
Thanks! I was wondering how I got that box up, guess I just accidently hit the spacebar and didn't know it!
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman23408 View Post
Thanks! I was wondering how I got that box up, guess I just accidently hit the spacebar and didn't know it!
I don't think I can help the OP any more than what has already been said, But when you highlight a file and hit the Space Bar the file will open Quick Look not "Preview"..
Quick Look is a previewing program that comes with Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard, but doesn't use Preview. If Preview is not open and you hit Space Bar on a Highlighted file you will notice Preview stays closed. The Quick Look program lets you view a sample of a document, picture, movie, or other file without opening an application. This will even play a music file or display a PDF file, just about any common file type. You can also use the arrow keys to go to the Next or Previous file with Quick Look.
QUOTE Thanks
cmeffa

Yes. I did as the gentleman stated above. Clicked on file and the select to get info and then went down to open and selected preview. The weird thing is it says preview bot has an icon with paper and an A looking character next to it. It has a pencil and a bruch forming this A looking shape. So I don't kow what the deal is. I think it might be the apllications icon if I'm not mistaken. But it does say preview.
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

If you go to your Applications folder in Finder is the Preview app in the folder? If so, is the icon the same as the one you are seeing when you try to open a JPEG?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac not letting me share pictures | PS CS4: Actions Won't Work And PS Crashes »