New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Help with view pictures?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stefkat_charme

stefkat_charme is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro, iPod Nano 5th Gen. Yellow 16GB, iPhone 3G 16GB

I just got the new MacBook, and I'm wondering if there is any way to make iPhoto my default photo viewer instead of the viewer when I open photos from my "Pictures" file. Also, is there any way to, well, I guess hyperlinke iPhoto and the Pictures file so that when I add a file or album to one it's also added to the other? I'm new to Mac and still trying to figure this all out. I'm actually a photographer, so I really need to learn all this stuff to organize everything. Any suggestions as to what I can do or what might help would be hugely helpful. One of my biggest issues is actually just that when I open the viewer, I cant scroll through photos like I can in iPhoto. It won't let me scroll thorugh photos for some reason. I know I can use the cover flow view, but it doesn;t show me the photos big enough. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can get photos to open up in iPhoto by changing the default program.

Pick a filetype, say a JPEG file, and right click on it and select Get info

One of the options will be Open with, chose another app, apart from preview and select change all, now all JPEG files will open up in that program.

Before you do that, I would give Picasa from google a try, its a better image browser than iPhoto in my opinion

Picasa for Mac: Free download from Google

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

if you want a simple viewer that will let you scroll through photos, try Xee

from what i hear though, if you use iphoto, you'll want to do everything in iphoto lest you mess up your library. i'm one of the hadful of people who don't even deal with iphoto. i use finder and xee and a couple editing apps, and that's pretty much it - old school.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
stefkat_charme

Yeah, I would rather not use iPhoto. I have no problems using the viewer, except that I can't use the three finger command to scroll through photos, and when I hit the next button it doesn't work. Is that something that can be changed?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

in Xee, you just need to use < and > (not the arrows, but the actual keys) to scroll. and there are a lot of other easy shortcuts and a few minimal editing tools (crop and rotate, etc).

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
stefkat_charme

I'm trying to go through the viewer, and when I double click on a photo and it opens, it's the only photo in the sidebar. Yet when I go to the settings for the trackpad, it talks about the three finger navigation, and the animation of it shows someone scrolling through photos in the viewer (preview) program, and there is more than one photo open in the side bar. Sorry to be a pain, thank you for all your help, I'm just wondering what might be going on. If I could just get that one thing fixed, I would be totally satisfied.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

what app are you using?

edit: nm, i get it, just preview. it only opens the image you tell it to open.

really, go tot he link i provided and download Xee, give it a shot, if you liked windows picture manager (the standard viewer), you'll like Xee.

QUOTE Thanks
stefkat_charme

Does it work along with the pictures file? or do I have to upload all my photos to that program? I didn't even know there were downloadable programs like that out there.
QUOTE Thanks
tenpointnine

tenpointnine is on a distinguished road

Preview can open multiple files together. Select the first file, shift click to add others to your selection, then right click and open in preview.
This will give you a preview pane with a side drawer showing thumbnails.
QUOTE Thanks
bjratchf

bjratchf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpointnine View Post
Preview can open multiple files together. Select the first file, shift click to add others to your selection, then right click and open in preview.
This will give you a preview pane with a side drawer showing thumbnails.
When I do this it opens each picture in its own preview window. Anyway to do it like in windows, where you preview one photo, and press next, and then it goes to the next photo?
QUOTE Thanks
Pomeroy

Pomeroy is a jewel in the roughPomeroy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjratchf View Post
When I do this it opens each picture in its own preview window. Anyway to do it like in windows, where you preview one photo, and press next, and then it goes to the next photo?
If you want to see all that is in one folder just drag the folder down to the Dock and drop it on the "Preview" icon.. If you just want to see part of the files in a folder, Select the ones you want by clicking on the first photo then hold Shift and click on the last one you want, then drag all those and drop on "Preview" down on the dock. You can also unselect some of the photos in the Finder list by " command+click". Either way the photos will show up on the sidebar of Preview and you can the scroll through them with the "Next" or "Previous" buttons.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nikon RAW processing | Light Trails »