New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

My 8,614 photos have vanished

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shoeboat

Shoeboat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15"

I opened up iPhoto and it is as empty as the day I bought the laptop. Frustratingly I was days away from spending a whole day backing them all up which would have been a nightmare of a task, I am just hoping that they are hiding in some file somewhere but I've had a good look already.

I downloaded iPhoto Library Manager and went to file/rebuild only for it to inform me in a box that 'This library cannot be rebuilt because its XML file contains no image records.'

There is no iPhoto library to be found under finder/username/library which is very worrying. Would they be anywhere else?

Finally, there is something worth mentioning - in the last three weeks before this happened, I was getting a message upon opening iPhoto - something about 'The following photos could not be imported, they are at user/iPhoto/etc... something' - now I had no idea what these 2 images were and after getting the double box each time I opened iPhoto it was just plain annoying and I think I found said files (about 7) and deleted them, plus the plists.

Could I have deleted my entire library in one hit (I emptied the trash also) and if so, why was there no 'Are you sure you want to do this' warning???? Also, If I did delete everything, why do I have the same amount of space as before, I mean surely nearly 10 thousand pics is going to make a noticable difference to my disk space? If I've lost all my pics, I at least want to have the space back that they took up!

Lastly, I tried clicking on the Time Machine icon at the top right of the screen and when I try to enter Time Machine it says 'The operation could not be completed - an unexpected error occurred (error code 43).

Any ideas folks?

Regards

SB
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeboat View Post
There is no iPhoto library to be found under finder/username/library which is very worrying. Would they be anywhere else?
Your library is under ~/Pictures/ and is called iPhoto Library.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
whereismymacboo

whereismymacboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Your library is under ~/Pictures/ and is called iPhoto Library.
once there - as some people are unaware - right click and select "Show Package Contents"
QUOTE Thanks
Shoeboat

I've done that, it's totally empty except for a picture I added today.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Any chance you renamed your Home folder recently?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

iPhoto photos missing - MacFixIt
QUOTE Thanks
Shoeboat

I have looked everywhere and as far as my 3 year old MacBook Pro is concerned, iPhoto is brand new and empty. I have tried the above link, thanks for posting it but it hasn't made any difference.

A visit to my local i-Studio is in order I think.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "Crop Area" in CS4? | Save for web color issue »