Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    magazine cover and spread
    I have been working on this 2-page spread for my graphic design classes.. and t finish early so i made a cover to go with it.. just would like some input on both if you all dont mind. The spread had to be on Neville Brody, if you dont know who he is wiki him he is a pretty cool guy. I knew nothing about him b4 this project. if you want to see more check out my grpahic design folder on my flickr

    here is the cover the line is where it would fold in

    2-page spread
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

  2. #2

    Phototini's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    95
    Specs:
    2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
    I'm no graphic designer but it looks good to me, nice work.

  3. #3

    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    well thank you. i worked on it for a few days. the hardest thing was making up a company and making that logo/brand for graphic times.

    btw you like my quote from you, hope you dont mind me quoting you.. but that was well said....lol
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

  4. #4

    Phototini's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    95
    Specs:
    2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
    Quote Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
    well thank you. i worked on it for a few days. the hardest thing was making up a company and making that logo/brand for graphic times.

    btw you like my quote from you, hope you dont mind me quoting you.. but that was well said....lol
    I'll tell you what, I have a lot of respect for Graphic designers. They in my opinion are one of the most creative people out there. Being a photographer I get paid to be creative SOME of the time, which I do enjoy. But you guys are required to be creative 100% of the time and there is no way I could pull that off. Keep up the good work, looks like you are on the right path.

    I am also privileged to have my quote in your sig, thank you.

  5. #5

    Davidk02's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location
    Stockton Ca.
    Posts
    148
    Specs:
    Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
    Very nice. Looks professional. I'm not a graphic designer, or anything close, but I look at magazines, and thats better laid out than most of what I see.

  6. #6

    mcjacksonnelson's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 31, 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    375
    Specs:
    2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
    only thing i would suggest would be to make the name pop a bit more in the article. it seems to get lost a bit when it goes over his head (the B in brody for instance). maybe a little heavier stroke and change the stroke color from red to orange (pantone orange 021 is my fav) might fix that and maybe a few point sizes bigger. otherwise, its very nice. :-)
    "You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

    CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design

  7. #7

    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjacksonnelson View Post
    only thing i would suggest would be to make the name pop a bit more in the article. it seems to get lost a bit when it goes over his head (the B in brody for instance). maybe a little heavier stroke and change the stroke color from red to orange (pantone orange 021 is my fav) might fix that and maybe a few point sizes bigger. otherwise, its very nice. :-)
    i looked at that as well and moved it multiple times. i will play with it a lil more.. the color though i want to stay the same it is his color.. thx for that input tho... and i appreciate everyone comments..
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

  8. #8

    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    Updated 2page spread
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

  9. #9

    scathe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2009
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    2,4Ghz 15" unibody
    Nice work, I really like it

    for some feedback:
    in the first posted layout, I would go with what mcjacksonnelson suggested, but in the Graphic Times title, specifically the "Graphic" word, you have a stroke on the P, use something similar on the G .... it's just a thought, I think the title should stand out more ... btw I really like how you handled the CMYK theme

    as for the second layout, only one thing bothers me and that's how the whole paragraph starting with IT is pushed way to the top, but you would probably have to edit the text itself

    now these are just to provide some feedback, overall I think you did a very good job

    Edit:
    you really like that lambo picture don't you? in your photo shoot thread I mentioned the garage being a bad background, but here it blends in, nice

  10. #10

    mcjacksonnelson's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 31, 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    375
    Specs:
    2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
    bingo. thats much better.
    "You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

    CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design

  11. #11

    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    Well the word "Graphic" is the same as the "P" but the paint is not as low on the "P" and the black is showing just like in the word "times" (as if the paint has now filled it in). Also i like the lambo picture so I photoshopped it to make it better and i feel it is more of what the mag is supposed to represent if it were real... I got the layout for the text from a few magazines layouts
    I like the way they turned out. And thx I love the cmyk theme.

    Edit:
    i took in to consideration what you said about the lambo pic thx
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2008
    Posts
    15
    OK I'm a Graphic designer have been for 11 years. So here are my suggestions, overall I like it but there are some things you might want to look at in the practicle world. First all you text is way to close to the edge you need at least a .5 inch margin, no magazine would print this, do some research on live area versus trim size of magazines. Second never cut someone's face in half through a gutter, and if you just have to never cut through the eye. Depending on how thick the magazine is and how trap is set, more than likely the face will come out looking horrible and no matter how good your layout looks it will always over power it. Third the text is too hard to read reversed out of his face, you have to remember you can make it as pretty as you want but if no one can read it what's the point. The quotation marks on the quotes are way to big, and distracting. Overall I think you need more breathing room overall don't be afraid of whitespace. Also try to play with your type to get a better rag it will make the page look better overall and make it easier to read.
    I think the headline would be better in solid read without an outline, just not a fan of outlined text.

    Please take all this with a grain of salt and as constructive criticism, I think you have done a great job and most of the things i said I see students doing all the time. Mainly it comes from not understanding how printing works.

    And on the cover i really like your title header but think the text beside it is killing it. Maybe that should move to the black bar under it and move what's there to the page as another article.

  13. #13

    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    Quote Originally Posted by wakedork View Post
    OK I'm a Graphic designer have been for 11 years. So here are my suggestions, overall I like it but there are some things you might want to look at in the practicle world. First all you text is way to close to the edge you need at least a .5 inch margin, no magazine would print this, do some research on live area versus trim size of magazines. Second never cut someone's face in half through a gutter, and if you just have to never cut through the eye. Depending on how thick the magazine is and how trap is set, more than likely the face will come out looking horrible and no matter how good your layout looks it will always over power it. Third the text is too hard to read reversed out of his face, you have to remember you can make it as pretty as you want but if no one can read it what's the point. The quotation marks on the quotes are way to big, and distracting. Overall I think you need more breathing room overall don't be afraid of whitespace. Also try to play with your type to get a better rag it will make the page look better overall and make it easier to read.
    I think the headline would be better in solid read without an outline, just not a fan of outlined text.

    Please take all this with a grain of salt and as constructive criticism, I think you have done a great job and most of the things i said I see students doing all the time. Mainly it comes from not understanding how printing works.

    And on the cover i really like your title header but think the text beside it is killing it. Maybe that should move to the black bar under it and move what's there to the page as another article.
    WOW.. that was a look to take in at once.. but thanx for the input. i honestly value your opinion.. thx this is my first layout of this type ever.. so i surely have a lot to learn.. as i dont know any of the perimeters.
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

  14. #14

    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    thx everyone for the input..
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Steve is on the cover of Time Magazine again
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 09:45 AM
  2. Want to see Steve Jobs on a Magazine cover?
    By the8thark in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 10:31 PM
  3. Magazine Cover Design
    By Bruki in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 10:20 PM
  4. Free Magazine subscription on eServer Magazine
    By Rose in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 10:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •