New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Camera Choices

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imput1234

imput1234 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I've been looking to get a entry level DSLR, I was planing to buy a Nikon D40x.

But recently I have found some local seller who have good DSLR's for a cheaper price, but they are old.

The two choices I have are Nikon D50, and Canon EOS 10D. The D50 comes with a 35-80mm (sakar?) lens

My question is which camera would be a beatter deal? They EOS owner wants 300, and the D50 owner wants 350. I'm not familiar with these camera, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Suggest you check out two of the best review sites - Camera Labs: Digital Camera, Digital SLR and Lens Reviews, Workshops, News and Steve's Digicams - Main Menu. Both have a wealth of information and may help you choose.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

You could check at dcresource.com as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

I wouldn't buy the 10D. You can find used 20D's for that price and the Canon 10D is an old camera. It's an APS-C crop sensor that only supports EF lenses where as all the new APS-C crop cameras support EF and EF-S lenses. It's not a huge deal seeing as how there's only 6-7 lenses in Canon's 60+ lens line up that are EF-S, but there's other differences between the 10D and the 20D that make it worth not buying a 10D.

I'm not too sure about the 50D, but I think I'd choose the D40 (non x) over that.

Any ways, if you want used Canon, try the classified section at Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin . There's over 175k registered members. It's a Canon forum and it always has good deals. You may even be able to find and XT or XTI for that price.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

And maybe Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Not familiar with any of those two, so i cant really pick one.

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

I'd go with the D40x.
QUOTE Thanks
rlb2444

rlb2444 is on a distinguished road

I used Canons for many years but switched to Nikon to the D3. I would suggest that you consider the D60 as the entry level. A move up to the D80 would be a better choice.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Best buy is clearing out discontinued D200's for $599, which is a freegin' bargain and a half IMO. D200 $599 including shipping

However, whatever you decide on remember that perhaps one of the most important things to consider is NOT going for cheap glass ! You can get the Nikon D40 for $400 at Amazon which is also a good deal, but there are certainly other things to consider, and you should really do the research before putting money down on something that you think is a good deal just because it's cheaper.

For instance, there are certain lenses which will NOT be used to their full potential (autofocus) on specific camera bodies. The D40 is one of those bodies, which, is not going to play well with some of the newer lenses on the market, and the newer lenses are particularly good with how fast and precisely they focus compared to others.

I'm on that side of the argument which says that saving a bit more money, will be worth the longer term investment and will pay off for you. Not to say that a camera such as the D40 can't take fantastic photos, not at all. In fact, it's more the person behind the camera, than the camera its self, but at the same time... when you learn how to utilize all of the features and functionality that a camera has to offer, you start to realize what might be either beyond your current skill level to grasp, or at the opposite, you realize that you want more from your tool, than what it has to offer.

It's precisely why I saved (well, my wife had a HUGE part in this) for a D300 rather than getting a D200 or D90, and I am SO happy that I did, because the D300 is a camera which is at just the right pace for me. It's not too simple, yet not so discouraging to use because the menu system and controls and ergonomics are fairly easy to learn. And the image quality is just a bonus, when paired with nice glass.

Again though, don't buy cheap glass. You won't be able to sell it when you're ready to upgrade, and it will just be a waste sitting around when you finally do. And believe me, you WILL notice the difference between glass, whether they be from the same, or different manufacturers. Also, don't let anybody tell you that third party lens manufacturers such as Sigma and Tokina are cheaper just because they're inferior.. it's bollocks. Nikon makes fantastic glass, but they do also have some stinkers in their arsenal. My current lens line up is:

Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (better value than the f1.4 because it's just as sharp wide open)
Nikkor 70-300 f4-5.6 VR (tremendous value. Great IQ even in not the best lighting)
Sigma 17-70 DC Macro HSM (fantastic walk around lens, great for wide shots and family portraits and even sports shots when the light is good) I do consider this lens to be my compromise lens. It's the weakest of the three, even though its IQ is very good. I just feel that it's a bit slower than I'd like, because when you zoom in, you lose that f2.8 real quick. I'd rather have the Nikkor 24-70 f1.8, but I can't afford it (yet).

No matter what you do.. don't skimp on glass ! By the way, what's your budget ?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
akabigtuna

akabigtuna is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.0ghz, 4GB, 500GB HDD. 32GB 4th Gen iPhone (Verizon)

You could also consider the D60.

2.0 Ghz Macbook Unibody - 4GB RAM - 500GB HDD - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
iPhone 4 - 32GB - Verizon
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to make an avatar? | Nikon Picture Project vs iPhoto »