New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

my first photo Shoot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

this is my first photo shoot i have only had my Canon Rebel XSi 2 weeks. it is all on my Flickr account.. please look at it and let me know your thoughts. i shot most shots on M-mode with kit lens 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
miles01110

miles01110 will become famous soon enough

It's hard to give commentary because

a) the subject is not very imaginative despite being a gorgeous vehicle,

b) the lighting is flat,

c) It's pretty clear you walked around the car and took the shots standing up. That's fine, but a little boring. We've all seen cars from this angle. Show us something different.

While these photos might serve as a nice memory of getting up close to a Lamborghini, they're nothing special from a photography viewpoint. You're not taking advantage of any of the features that an SLR offers over a P&S.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

what do you suggest? i dont know much about photography.

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
what do you suggest? i dont know much about photography.
It's your eye, dude. We can't tell you how to use your eye. Maybe do some diagonals, and wait until the sun shines on the car. Try to get some close-ups, maybe the rims of the car close up. use your eye.

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
Phototini

Phototini will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
It's your eye, dude. We can't tell you how to use your eye. Maybe do some diagonals, and wait until the sun shines on the car. Try to get some close-ups, maybe the rims of the car close up. use your eye.
Have you ever shot a vehicle before?? Direct sunlight on a vehicle is one of the worst things you can do. Over cast days are best to shoot vehicles, and if it is sunny you better have plenty of diffuser panels.

To the OP, you did a good job for your first setup session. But when working with vehicles outdoors you want to find a setting that either compliments or contrasts with your subject (vehicle) to make it more compelling. As well as giving the viewer angles that are not so common.

If you were doing this for a dealer, they would be great. Although some of them are a tad underexposed on my monitor. But I do not calibrate this monitor so take that with a grain of salt.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
Diagonals make me cry.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
czosnek112

czosnek112 is on a distinguished road

It's nothing new excluding this great Lambo ;]
You haven't treated it like a model, but you treated this car like a one of them which stay on car park.

Rebel XSi is EOS 450D, I suppose ?
btw. You gotta rich friend %-D
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

this is for a brochure for my friends company.. i did some other cars yesterday. but thanks for the input i looked up some images and i see what most of you are saying.. i am still learning a lot.. i have only had this camera 2.5 weeks and this is my first SLR.

QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototini View Post
... Direct sunlight on a vehicle is one of the worst things you can do. Over cast days are best to shoot vehicles, and if it is sunny you better have plenty of diffuser panels.
If you have a polarized filter, then you are not so limited with glares from the car as well, I think you cat achieve amazing photos this way
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

i photoshopped this pic a lil

Before

After

QUOTE Thanks
JayRob

JayRob is on a distinguished road

looks pretty good
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRob View Post
looks pretty good
thx. i am going to school for graphic design but shooting a camera is something so new to me.

QUOTE Thanks
Phototini

Phototini will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathe View Post
If you have a polarized filter, then you are not so limited with glares from the car as well, I think you cat achieve amazing photos this way
Polarizing filters work good sometimes, but often times it just makes more work in LR or PS. It really depends on the overall look you are trying to achieve. But that is just my opinion, as I generally don't use any filters.

Also OP, one thing to remember in Photoshop or Lightroom whatever you use to post process....less is always more. You did way to much burning on that image. It screams photoshop!

Keep at it man, and keep learning. That is the best way to become a good photographer, learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

i like the picture. i think it could have been taken this way. thanks for your OP tho.

Quote:
learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.
you sound like my father he is a photographer.. i have a lot to learn though.

QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

why did you shoot the shots in front of a garage? that's the most disrupting element for me the car on this particular shot also takes up too much space, for me a picture should never just be about one big yellow blob of a lambo

Edit:
the modified picture looks pretty good, if there isn't the original side by side to see what exactly changed I think the effect came out nicely, specially on the pavement ... the only give away would be the over-saturated blue sky, but still
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhoto - All my pictures defaulted to 360 x 270 | Playing with Fire! »