New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

lends ad filters

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

Ok I have a few questions I recently got a canon Xsi and have 600 I can't spend on a new lens I alrdy have a 15-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is there any decent lenses I could get
And also is there a difference from canon brand filters and say an off name brand such as sunpak?
As far as quality.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

BlueMac is a jewel in the roughBlueMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7

Sunpak sucks.

Canon filters suck.

But, a company like Hoya or Tiffen will do you good. What kind of filter might you be looking for?

Flickr

Last.fm
Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

yea, Hoya, Tiffen, B+W, all good quality stuff. I'm assuming you're looking for like a 1a or a generic UV filter?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
yea, Hoya, Tiffen, B+W, all good quality stuff. I'm assuming you're looking for like a 1a or a generic UV filter?
About B+W, their products are pretty pricey. But great stuff if you don't mind the $$!

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Oh yea, awesome stuff if you have the means , I highly suggest it

Or was I just talking about a Ferrari?

mike
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
Ok I have a few questions I recently got a canon Xsi and have 600 I can't spend on a new lens I alrdy have a 15-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is there any decent lenses I could get
And also is there a difference from canon brand filters and say an off name brand such as sunpak?
As far as quality.
hvstar.net sales tiffen, hoya, and B+W for cheap.

Lenses? Go used. POTN, which is Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin has a huge classified section.

Sell the 70-300 and buy a Canon 70-200 f/4 and a Sigma 10-20 f/3.5-5.6

You'll have a robust kit then.

Also, it's a hot topic sometimes, but I personally would waste money on buying UV filters for "protection". I see it as a waste. Others would probably freak if they saw me using $1500+ lenses without UV filters.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

I couldn't tell you the # of 1a or UV filters I've cracked.. course, that was mostly doing photojournalism, where I never used lens caps.. ever. As always though YMMV... studio stuff is completely different and I rarely use UV filters on my medium format stuff for that reason alone.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

You know, you wouldn't need any sort of special filter to protect your lens. I just use my red filter when necessary, for my photos, not protection. If, for some reason, a random rock flies towards my lens, my red filter will break, not my lens. I'd rather have a broken filter than a broken lens.

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Sure, but you can't just put a red filter on and leave it there. You can with a uv/1a... which is why it's been a recommendation for years.. including, fwiw, in college photo depts.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

ok i already have UV filters for my lenses both canon i was looking for a polarized, neutral density, diffusion, red, blue, filters.
also i found a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens for $84 also i wanna try to stick with Canon lenses..

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

Quote:
ok i already have UV filters for my lenses both canon i was looking for a polarized, neutral density, diffusion, red, blue, filters.
also i found a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens for $84
Nice deal on the lens! A polarized... hmm, you will have to deck out a good amount of money for a good one. B+W makes the best ones, for sure. Neutral Density, what stop amount? Let's say 3 stops, a good median. I'm going to give you 52mm size options, since you found the 50mm (which takes 52mm size filters). Here is a nice, cheaper one that should be great:

B+W | 52 mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter | 65062156 | B&H

ND filter:

B+W | 52 mm #110 Neutral Density (ND) 3.0 Glass | 65066704 | B&H

Can't find "diffusion". Do you mean a graduated filter?

Red (this is the one I have):

B+W | 52 mm 091 Dark Red (029) Glass Filter | 65072087 | B&H

and Blue:

B+W | 52mm 080 Light Blue Glass Filter | 65071703 | B&H Photo

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

nice filters lil more than i thought they would be but thats what you pay when you want eh best right.. also all my lenses are 58mm and thanx for the help man, much appreciated.

QUOTE Thanks
BlueMac

Quote:
nice filters lil more than i thought they would be but thats what you pay when you want eh best right.. also all my lenses are 58mm and thanx for the help man, much appreciated.
You're welcome- do shop at bhphotovideo.com. Great prices, very reliable.

Flickr

Last.fm
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
also i found a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens for $84 also i wanna try to stick with Canon lenses..
The 50 f/1.8 is a great lens for the price. There are some great third party lenses out there and Canon doesn't always make the best lenses. The Sigma 10-20 is almost identical in IQ to the Canon 10-22 and is about $200 less.

There's also companies like Zeiss that make lenses you could get for your camera and they're renowned for some of their lenses. Do some reading and definitely check out POTN. They have over 175,000 registered members. It's an amazing community no matter what camera you're shooting with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMac View Post
You're welcome- do shop at bhphotovideo.com. Great prices, very reliable.
The same 52mm CPol:
B+W 52mm Circular Polarizer C-POL Filter NEW F-PRO CPL

$45 vs. B&H's $65. HVStar.net, which is now maxsaver.net is the way to go for filters.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

but i am sure Canon Lens are close to the best if not the best lenses that you can but some third party lenses are straight garbage. you always get what you pay for my father always says.. and quality is not cheap. but i was looking at some sigma's are they pretty decent. i want some f/2.8 or less lenses

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo Editing on a Mac | Sanford-Brown College rating »